Reflecting on Wintersteen’s tenure as dean of CALS

Madeline Mcgarry

As President-select Wendy Wintersteen transitions into her new role as Iowa State’s president, students and faculty are reminiscing about her service as the dean of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.

Theressa Cooper, assistant dean for diversity of the College of Agriculture, worked closely with Wintersteen in efforts of launching new initiatives and programs for multicultural students.

“One of the things I really liked about the way Wendy [Wintersteen] led was she paid close attention and valued the land grant mission: the tri-part mission of teaching, research and extension,” Cooper said. “She didn’t give any more weight to one pillar over the other.”

Wintersteen has led a variety of forums in efforts of promoting multicultural diversity within the college. Edan Lambert, president of the CALS Council, has had the opportunity to engage in discussion related to advancing these initiatives. 

“She has been working tirelessly to make better adviser training programs for CALS faculty and staff as well as provide opportunities for CALS students to learn what it means to be culturally competent,” Lambert said. “Dean Wintersteen has went out of her way to meet minority students halfway and hear their concerns and better herself as a leader and role model.”

Cody Smith, vice president of the student body, was introduced to Wintersteen through his involvement in clubs and service on committees. His relationship with Wintersteen has continued to expand as a result of his role with Student Government, coupled with Wintersteen’s imminent transition to becoming the university president.

“She is one of the very few people on campus who takes the time to listen, and I think that she has demonstrated that throughout her time as the dean,” Smith said.

Serving as the interim director of Iowa State Extension and Outreach and Agriculture and Natural Resources Extension and Outreach, Jay Harmon has been with the university since 1993. Prior to serving in his current role, he primarily focused on the Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering (ABE) as a professor and researcher.

“[Dean Wintersteen] supported us in our pursuit of striving to be the number one ABE department in the country, and she is part of the reason we reached that goal,” Harmon said.

Harmon references a time in 2003 when it was announced the College of Agriculture would be closing the Lauren Christian Swine Research Farm in southwest Iowa due to budget cuts. Wintersteen, who was not yet in her role as dean, reported to the farm in order to address the public’s resulting concerns.

“Any administrator that will answer questions about a tough decision deserves respect. She was sympathetic but pragmatic,” Harmon said. “She didn’t run from the heat – she addressed it, and I’ve always respected her for that.”

Smith, who was in Wintersteen’s office when it was announced the Leopold Center for Sustainable Agriculture would lose funding, believes she handles times of crisis in an effective manner.

“I think she has done a fantastic job, and I don’t think that you will find anyone in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences who says otherwise,” Smith said.

Harmon, Smith, Cooper and Lambert hope to see President-select Wintersteen continue her dedication at the university level.

“I think that from a university perspective, they are going to find that her dedication to the forever true, and her dedication to this university are unwavering, and probably unmatched,” Cooper said.

As a result of her leadership on CALS Council, Lambert has cultivated a mentor-mentee relationship with Wintersteen, and considers her to be a personal role model. 

“She will serve Iowa State University very well due to her many years of experience and her long history of successes as Dean of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences,” Lambert said. “They couldn’t have chosen a more genuine, selfless leader as the next president of Iowa State University.”

Wintersteen assumes her role as university president on Nov. 20.

“We will miss her in CALS, but she’ll be a terrific president,” Harmon said.