Local events happening during Thanksgiving break

Trevor Knabach

Thanksgiving break has arrived and many students have traveled home for the week. However, campus housing remains open for those who wish to stay.

Here’s a breakdown of some of the events both on campus and in Ames for students staying in town over break:

Workshop: Harvests Bounty – Tuesday, Nov. 21

Take some time to relax during break and head over to Coe’s Flowers and Gifts from 6 to 7 p.m. for a workshop on how to make Thanksgiving centerpieces.

Floral Designs: November – Tuesday, Nov. 21

Need some fall decorations to spice up your room? Reiman Gardens is hosting a workshop from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. on how to create the perfect harvest vase arrangement.

Festival of Trees – Nov. 20 – 22, 25 – 26

The Octagon transforms their main gallery into an array of festive trees to get ready for the holiday season. Stop in anytime from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on the dates listed above.

Burgie’s Open Mic Night – Friday, Nov. 24

Every last Friday of the month Burgie’s Coffee & Tea Company has their open mic nights for people to enjoy live music and unwind from 7 to 9 p.m.

Forbidden Broadway Greatest Hits Vol 1 – Nov. 24-26

Enjoy this parody of all your favorite Broadway hits at the ACTORS Theater from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.

Punching Pandas – Friday, Nov. 24

Cover band, Punching Pandas, will be performing from 9 to 11 p.m. at the South 17th Event Center with a wide variety of music.

Small Business Cyturday – Saturday, Nov. 25

In celebration of Small Business Saturday, Cy himself will be at Treats on a Leash from 10 to 11 a.m. to greet small business shoppers.

Dueling Pianos – Saturday, Nov. 25

The South 17th Event Center is hosting Dueling Pianos, which features two piano artists playing against each other with song suggestions from the audience.

More information on these events can be found on the Ames Calendar of Events.

Information about this week’s Iowa State sporting events can be found here.