StuGov agenda: Funding requests, creation of civic engagement committee

Zoey Shipley, speaker of the senate, speaks at the Student Government meeting on Aug. 23, 2017. 

Alex Connor

Student Government has a heavy agenda Wednesday evening, with seven funding requests and a resolution requesting a mental health statement on class syllabi.

In addition to general orders, the senate will also discuss seating two at-large members to the finance and university affairs committee. 

Funding requests include:

• $2,100 to the Black Student Alliance for its monthly Sunday dinners
  • $466.40 to the Ethical Eating Club for travel and registration costs to attend a conference 
  • $339.24 to the Iowa State Chess Club for chess clocks and chess boards
  • $206 to the Odyssey of the Mind for organization advertising
  • $1,390 to C-Nettes for uniforms
  • $150 to the Genre Club for building rental to host an acoustic showcase
  • and $2,500 to the Puerto Rican Students Association to host a cultural event

Additionally, the senate will discuss the resolution requesting a mental health syllabus requirement that would more or less serve as a health and wellness statement that provides resources to students. 

If approved, the resolution would be sent to the Iowa State Faculty Senate. 

Speaker Zoey Shipley will also be discussing the creation of an ad-hoc senate committee for civic engagement that will focus on seeking better ways to get students involved in the community politically. 

Sen. Isaiah Baker and Vice Speaker Cody Woodruff will co-chair the committee. 

The senate will also hear more on Open Access Librarian and the Student Government Big 12 Conference during its program. 

For more information or to contact your senator, visit stugov.iastate.edu. The senate meetings are open to the public on Wednesdays at 7 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.