StuGov agenda: Approving election timeline, funding ‘Tree of Oppression’

Student Government senate meetings take place every Wednesday at 7 p.m. in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.

Alex Connor

Student Government will debate funding the diversity and inclusion committee for a “Tree of Oppression” during its meeting Wednesday evening.

The tree would be covered in plastic chains of different colors intended to “represent the macro- and micro-aggressive interactions marginalized students experience under institutionalized systems of oppression each day,” according to the legislation.

The tree, the diversity and inclusion committee hopes, would be decorated on campus and would serve as physical representation of the university’s and the student body’s recognition the negatively impactful interactions that exists.

The committee is requesting $1,000 for the tree.

Additionally, Student Government will debate more internal legislation, such as approving the 2018 election timeline and a possible bylaw change to place more rules on the Depreciation Reserve Account.

The senate will also hear from the Ames Fire Department and the Graduate and Professional Student Senate President Vivek Lawana.

Apart from new business, the senate may also seat two new at-large members to the public relations committee.