Nicole Miller: Special projects editor

Nicole Miller/Iowa State Daily

Nicole Miller is the special projects and engagement editor. 

Nicole Miller

My personal experience as a journalist has been bumpy.

I have gone back and forth between feeling passionate about creating journalism – the aspect of going out and interviewing and writing the story – and then back to editing and the more directional and behind-the-scenes side.

Overall I have found that I like being the person who pulls the strings, helps direct and edit, more than the journalist who is going out and creating the story.

I’ve only been a journalist for the Iowa State Daily since January of this year, so I don’t have a whole lot of experience as a student journalist on this campus.

From what I have experienced though, Iowa State has shown me a very willing and helpful attitude toward student journalism.

Some things I have learned from being a student journalist, since the age of 16, I’ve found that it can be difficult to interview students, there are those who don’t take journalism seriously and aren’t fully willing to participate, but there are also students who would love nothing more than to be interviewed and have their voice heard.

Journalism has helped me with my confidence, developing my communication skills, the way I go about interviewing and approaching subjects/people, and so much more. The list of ways that journalism has helped me grow and learn about myself as an individual is more than I may like to admit.

Deep down I identify as a creative, logical and exuberant individual. I believe in the freedom of speech, expression, religion… if it’s about inclusivity and individuality (and doesn’t involve hate or physical violence) I’m for it.

I love free expression and writing about the truths/realities of our world. Some may say ignorance is bliss, but I disagree.

Journalism is here to bust that myth, and whether I’m creating/editing/being interviewed/etc., for the content, I’m more than willing to participate.