Green Dot program delivers presentation to Student Government

Maggie Curry / Iowa State Daily

Faculty and staff who participated in the first round of facilitator training of the Green Dot program pose by the Iowa State University sign.

Alex Connor

Jazzmin Brooks, Green Dot program coordinator, stood in the center of the Campanile Room during the Student Government meeting Wednesday evening.

She asked the senators and cabinet members in attendance to close their eyes.

“Picture a campus map,” Brooks said. “Start to see little red dots appear. Those are moments of time of someone abusing their partner.”

Next, she asks the Senate to imagine green dots to appear on the campus map. Those are “choices, behaviors, words or attitudes that promote safety.”

“When you do a green dot, it shows you have an intolerance to violence,” Brooks said.

Ahead of the launch on Sept. 27, Brooks presented to the Student Government the ins and outs of the program, as well as how they can get involved.

Green Dot is a violence-prevention program that focuses on bystander intervention. Over the summer, Brooks said, more than 50 staff and faculty members were trained to do this program.

Green Dot encourages recognizing signs of abuse, looking at warning signs and also preventative efforts through mentoring incoming students.

“If we really want to end and decrease the likelihood of someone being harmed, we need to look at the causes,” Brooks said.

During the presentation, Brooks highlighted the ways in which Green Dot encourages bystanders to address violence or possible violence.

“We think of bystander intervention in three ways: direct, delegate and distract,” Brooks said.

The official Green Dot launch will be Sept. 27 at the South Parks Library Lawn from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. There will be food, music and raffle prizes.

For more information on Green Dot, visit http://www.studentwellness.iastate.edu/greendot/.