StuGov: ‘No human is, nor can they be, illegal’

StuGov: No human is, nor can they be, illegal

Alex Connor

Student Government, in a statement Wednesday, expressed their support and empathy for those negatively impacted by President Donald Trump’s decision to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.

“As a member of Cyclone Nation and the Ames community, we want you to know that you are not alone and our community will continue to welcome and support you,” the statement read.

The statement, which also serves as a petition, was drafted by executive leadership including Student Government President Cody West, Student Government Vice President Cody Smith and Director of Diversity and Inclusion Julian Neely and his committee. 

“We believe all undocumented persons deserve respect, dignity and a fair shot at life, regardless of legal status,” the statement read. “It is impossible to ignore the positive impacts that the DACA program has had on our campus, our community, our state and our nation.”

Student Government is welcoming students to sign a pledge expressing “dismay and condemnation of this attempt of unwarranted expulsion from a place that many have called home for as long as they can recall.” 

To do so, students may visit: https://www.stugov.iastate.edu/daca/

Those already expressing solidarity include West, Smith and Neely, as well as Speaker Zoey Shipley, Vice Speaker Cody Woodruff and Laura Colom, a junior in biology. 

“As Cyclones, Iowans, and Americans: Our shared humanity and fundamental beliefs demonstrate without uncertainty that no human is, nor can they be, illegal,” the statement read. 

Student Government has already issued a stance on DACA in February, voting in support of a resolution that then- “Iowa State President Steven Leath and other university administrators ‘do everything to the fullest extent of their legal capabilities to ensure continued support for undocumented and DACA students and their success.'”

Now, Student Government is relying on its representatives to prevent DACA from being rescinded. 

“We, the students of Iowa State University, firmly and unequivocally support the right of every student to pursue a higher education without the slightest regard to legal documentation,” the statement read. “We trust that our represenatives in Congress will do what is right and preserve the program’s protections before March 5, 2018.”