Throwback Thursday: Memorial Union

The Memorial Union, pictured from the north in 1937. Students are seen standing in front of the Gold Star Hall, and jets are shooting from the Fountain of Four Seasons.

Ian Steenhoek

Memorial Union

Pictured in 1937 and again in 2017.

Students are seen gathering outside of the Gold Star Hall in the archive photo.

In the recent photo there are students sitting on benches. The additions of the northeast wing, new walkways and the Fountain of Four Seasons are also apparent. Many of the trees have since been removed.

Construction on the Memorial Union began in 1927 and ended in 1929. Students at the time pledged various amounts to fund its construction.

The Memorial Union has undergone multiple additions since it initially opened in 1928. The first addition to the south included the South Ballroom and six bowling lanes.

The next addition took place from 1948 to 1949, and added meeting rooms as well as a dish room to the southwest side of the building.

The third addition began during this time as well, and added eight more bowling lanes to the bowling alley.

The fourth addition began in 1950 and finished in 1953. This addition added the Western Terrace, and for the first time, air conditioning was installed in the building.

The Browsing Library and Chapel were added underneath the Gold Star Hall between additions. 

There were two additions between 1964 to 1967, which added the northeast wing, meeting rooms, Campanile and Cardinal rooms, student office space, the Workspace and the parking ramp.

The construction of the southeast wing, which connected the parking ramp the rest of the building, took place in two phases between 1972 to 1978.

The most recent additions added space to the ISU Bookstore in 2008, as well as a renovation to the Fountain of Four Seasons in the summer of 2016.

The Memorial Union houses many services and programs today, such as the Student Activities Office, the Study Abroad Center, Office of Greek Affairs, the Multicultural Center, Student Union Board, office spaces, the bookstore, a veteran’s lounge and a food court, among others.