Student’s Choice for eating close to campus

Emily Hammer

Despite the wide variety of food options at the dining centers and cafés, it can be nice to go off-campus for a meal every once in a while.

But finding a satisfying restaurant in an unfamiliar city isn’t always easy. With a wide range of options so close to campus, it can be difficult to judge the restaurants worth your time. Here are some student’s opinions about the best restaurants to visit close to campus.

Fuzzy’s Taco Shop

Fuzzy’s Taco Shop was new to Ames in late 2016 and since then has seen lines out the door many nights. In the Iowa State Daily’s Student Choice 2017, it was given the title ‘Best New Restaurant’ and its close proximity to campus makes it even easier to head on over for a taco.

Jeff’s Pizza Shop

Named ‘Best Pizza’ in Student Choice 2017, Jeff’s Pizza Shop has been in Ames since 2004 and offers delivery service. Not only does the shop host a number of original pizzas, they also provide starters, salads, lasagnas and sandwiches along with desserts to finish up a meal.

West Street Deli

Rated as the ‘Best Deli’ in the Student Choice 2017, the West Street Deli features made-from-scratch items and supports locally grown produce. A much different feel from Fuzzy’s, the West Street Deli hosts booths and tables in dimmer lighting and an outdoor patio.

Stomping Grounds

Stomping Grounds was runner-up for both ‘Best Cafe’ and ‘Best Place to Go for Lunch’ in Student Choice 2017, but it beats The Cafe, the winner of the two awards, for its proximity to campus. Although a bit farther back on Welch Avenue, it features European-style cuisine with an optional shaded outdoor seating area.

Carlos Quesadillas

When looking for an off-campus flavor without actually leaving, students can go to Carlos Quesadillas, ranked ‘Best Food Truck’ in Student Choice 2017. Often parked near Kildee Hall, Carlos Quesadillas offers daily specials on food items and guarantees fresh ingredients to all customers.

Indian Delights Express

As far as ‘Best Indian Food’ in Student Choice 2017, Indian Delights Express took home the title. An offshoot of Indian Delights, which is farther to the west, Indian Delights Express caters to students with authentic Indian food that can be ordered either dine-in or to-go.