Editorial: Focus on personal wellness

Brooke Engelstad / Iowa State Daily

Iowa State’s Recreation Services helped organize the International Day of Yoga event on campus. “This is just a wonderful evening that will blend different parts of yoga that makes the whole experience health enhancing,” said Nora Hudson, Assistant Director of Recreation Services.

When we think about success in college, we typically think about good grades, getting internships, landing a leadership role or even graduating. Sometimes, we get so concentrated on reaching these goals that we compromise our personal well-being.

The fact is, it’s hard to accomplish any of those achievements if we don’t take care of ourselves. Our current health care system teaches us that being healthy is a simple fix, often medication. But a true healthy lifestyle is just that, a lifestyle. It takes a consistent conscious effort — and it’s necessary for overall wellness.

Not only will this improve health, but the American Public Health Association reports that focusing on prevention can help reduce rising health care costs. While many students may have already developed habits from their parents, now is the time to develop your own healthy routine as you begin to live an independent life.

The Student Wellness office at Iowa State focuses on these measures. The Green Dot program, peer wellness educators and healthy recipes are just a few ways the office helps students find a way to live a better life. By focusing on good physical health, mental health and balance, students can have an enhanced Iowa State experience.

Physical health

Rec Services provides plenty of ways for students to stay in shape. You can work out on your own — weightlifting, cardio or checking out equipment. You can also try a fitness class or join an intramural sport.

Exercise can also be as simple as walking to class rather than riding the bus or taking the stairs if you are able.

Mental health

Find healthy ways to relieve stress and stay focused during the school year. Biofeedback Services provides a unique and personalized plan for reducing stress.

Be self-aware of your stress levels to know if your stress is at a normal level or if you should consider seeking help. The Student Counseling Service is a great resource to discuss any mental health concerns you may have questions about.

Balance

Find a good balance in your life that works for you. Be mindful of how much you can be involved in, what stresses you out and how much time you need to just relax.