Allen addresses StuGov, says proposed tuition increase is not a ‘scare tactic’

Ashley Siegner/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State interim president, Ben Allen, addresses the Student Government Senate on Aug. 23, 2017 in the Pioneer Room in the Memorial Union.

Alex Connor

Interim Iowa State President Ben Allen reiterated the university’s proposed five-year tuition increase to Student Government Wednesday evening.

Allen also responded publicly on his thoughts regarding Gov. Kim Reynolds’ reaction to the tuition proposal and verified that the proposal is not a “scare tactic.” 

“One of the first tough decisions I had to make [after becoming interim] was to approve a last-minute tuition increase for this coming year,” Allen said. “This is the second year this has occurred. The issue is that this shouldn’t happen again.”

Originally presented by Allen on Aug. 9 to the Board of Regents, the proposed five-year tuition increase would add $522 to the base tuition starting in fall 2018 and rise to $684 more per year until fall 2022.

Allen also offered his perspective on Gov. Kim Reynolds response to the tuition proposal regarding it as “somewhat frustrating.”

“It is somewhat frustrating to have our proposal somewhat dismissed by the Governor when at the same time the state is not keeping its end of the bargain with state support,” Allen said.

Reynolds had said in mid-August during a news conference that “there is no way that Iowa families could afford a 7 percent increase over five years.”

Student Government senators were given the opportunity to pose questions to Allen, many centering around how Iowa State came to the 7 percent figure, as well as if Iowa State is considering capping enrollment.

Questions posed by Student Government senators included how assumptions on tuition were made, the possibility of capping enrollment and whether or not the 7 percent was a “scare tactic.”

“There are some stresses here because of the size of the student body… we are addressing those best we can,” Allen said. “I think putting a lid on the campus has not been seriously entertained — at least since I’ve been here in the last five months.”

Vice Speaker Cody Woodruff asked Allen if the 7 percent increase was a “scare tactic” to exemplify the issue students are facing regarding tuition.

“If this was a scare tactic,” Allen said, “it would be much higher.”

Allen also touched on the current campus climate, after events at the University of Virginia and Charlottesville, as well as a racist social media post made by an Iowa State student last week.

“We’re working with the leadership team to assess and reassess our approach to campus climate,” Allen said.

In the fall, Iowa State will issue a comprehensive campus climate survey in which all students, faculty and staff will be asked to participate.

We hope to make Iowa State more inclusive, welcoming and acceptable, Allen said.

“It’s an interesting time to be at a university and Iowa State,” Allen said, specifically citing changes in leadership at community, state and national levels.

“We have a new leadership of the Board of Regents – creating both opportunity and challenge,” Allen said. “A new governor, new president…all of these things adding angst and uncertainty to what we do.

“That said, Iowa State is on some good momentum here.”