Editorial: Be engaged in civil discourse

Marchers walk south down Duff Ave. during the “Ames Stands Together Opposing White Nationalism” event Sunday, Aug. 13. Several children were in attendance, some of them holding signs of their own. 

As we start a new school year, we have one simple message: engage in civil discourse.

Every single person on campus plays a role in making this a place where everyone wants to be and creating an environment of free, yet respectful sharing of perspectives. There is not one political party, one race, one gender, one sexual orientation or one major that creates that environment on campus. It’s all of us.

And it’s important that we engage with groups and topics that we might not understand. In addressing how the campus community can go about civil discourse, Interim President Ben Allen had some advice.

“Be out there, be visible, talk to people, don’t wait for the invitation,” Allen said in an interview with the Daily Aug. 19.

Here are a few ways to stay engaged in civil discourse:

• Participate in governmental meetings. Attend a student government meeting or a Board of Regents meeting. Get informed and add your input.

• Be a part of a student organization that strives to make a difference on campus.

• Listen to other perspectives. Attend lectures and events that you may know nothing about. Strive to learn each day.

• Be active in the Daily’s opinion section. The Daily’s opinion section is a place for public discourse, debate and sharing of opinions. There are several ways to be involved with the opinion section, including submitting a letter, becoming a columnist or joining the editorial board. If you are interested in any of these endeavors, please email the Daily’s Editor in Chief ([email protected]) and the Daily’s Opinion Editor Megan Salo ([email protected])