StuGov throws support toward Campustown security cameras

Vice President Cody Smith speaks to the Student Government Senate on Aug. 23, 2017 in the Pioneer Room in the Memorial Union. 

Alex Connor

Student Government passed a resolution in support of the addition of security cameras in Campustown during its senate meeting Wednesday.

Security cameras in Campustown have been an issue Student Government has been working on for the past five years, Speaker Zoey Shipley said, which if put into effect will “ensure the safety of students residing in Campustown, but also businesses and people residing in Ames.”

“Student Government supports the addition of five security camera locations to Campustown — in areas such as Chamberlain Street and Welch Avenue with the corner of Lincoln Avenue connecting to Welch along with the Welch Avenue fire station and the intersection of Chamberlain and Welch,” according to the resolution.

The resolution was introduced as new business, in which the senate then voted to move it to second reading and finally a roll call vote.

With no debate, the resolution — which will be sent to city leaders — passed unanimously among the senate. 

“It’s a serious issue I think we should put our support behind,” Shipley said.

The security cameras will operate on Iowa State’s network and can be accessed by both the City of Ames police and Iowa State Police Department to “help maintain resident safety and to investigate illegal activities.”

The security cameras will be voted on by the city council later this month.

The senate also introduced new legislation to be visited next week, including a resolution recommending a one-time student fee increase of $15 per student per semester starting fall semester of 2018 to go toward the Memorial Union.

The fee is separate and does not represent the same referendum that students rejected on the ballot in the last election, according to the resolution.

“This is the bare minimum of what the Memorial Union needs to stay sustainable,” Vice Speaker Cody Woodruff said.

During the senate meeting, Vice President Cody Smith also provided an executive update for both and he and President Cody West touching on the campus climate survey, Canvas – the new learning management system – and the new student welcome programs. 

Smith also reminded the senate that there are still several senator positions open, including seats in Veterinary Medicine, Graduate and Professional Senate, Inter-fraternity Council, Collegiate Panhellenic Council, and the Inter-Residence Hall Association.