StuGov to hold town hall for students to meet representatives, discuss issues

Alexandra Kelly/Iowa State Daily

A student speaks while student body President listens. On Tuesday Nov. 29 ISU Student Body President Cole Staudt addressed the public about topics like dead week, mental health, underage drinking, and tuition increase.  Following the speech he opened up the floor to a ‘town hall’ event where students could discuss ways to unify campus and decrease racial discrimination. 

Alex Connor

A town hall to meet this year’s representatives and discuss issues facing campus will be held by Student Government on Thursday afternoon.

The town hall, planned for 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 31 in the Cardinal Room of the Memorial Union, is part of the current administration’s aim to be more purposeful in its outreach.

The town hall program was enacted in 2016 by then-Student Body President Cole Staudt and then-Vice President Cody West. West now serves as the student body president with Cody Smith as vice president. 

The previous town halls hosted by Student Government have varied in size, with the 2016 town hall replacing Staudt’s annual student body address to discuss the issues resulting in a crowd of more than 50, and the one held last April being attended by about 10 students. 

West and Smith said last April that the town hall-style events will be reoccurring, possibly as often as each month.

The town halls will be an opportunity for students to voice what they feel can be improved at Iowa State or other issues they might be facing. 

The town hall will also serve as an opportunity for students to get to know their representatives.