Letter from the desk of ISU Dining’s dietitian

Courtesy of Lisa Nolting

Lisa Nolting staff photo

Ian Steenhoek

This is a letter from the ISU Dining dietitian. More information on ISU Dining can be found at dining.iastate.edu.

Greetings from the ISU Dining Dietitian!

My name is Lisa, and I joined Iowa State as a Registered Dietitian in 2013, after working for several years as a K-12 School Nutrition Director. I create joyful eating programs and services, provide nutrition counseling and eating disorder services, oversee the Special Diet Kitchen at Union Drive Marketplace, and collaborate with various campus departments to promote health and well-being. I am passionate about helping students learn nutrition skills and re-discover their joy of eating. You can learn more on my blog.

This fall, we have new programs for students. Our Peer Wellness Education program, which is housed within the Student Wellness Office, will provide education and outreach to students on various areas related to wellness.

Students can request presentations about food and nutrition, healthy relationships, alcohol, stress management, and much more! Peer wellness educators will also be doing events in the BeWell Hut, so keep your eye out for that around campus this fall.

In October, we are partnering with the Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition to once again host Culinary Boot Camp. This will occur the first four Mondays in October (2, 9, 16, 23) from 5:30 p.m. until 7 p.m. in the MacKay Hall food labs. At Culinary Boot Camp, students will expand their cooking skills, enjoy delicious food, and learn tips for fostering a healthy relationship with food. This event is limited to 50 participants, so check my website for registration details.

Lastly, the Body Project is a program that challenges unrealistic body image ideals and promotes activism for body acceptance. Research shows that it reduces the onset of eating disorders on college campus. It is facilitated by trained peers in two, two hour sessions. Find more information on my website or the direct link through Student Counseling Services.   

I am excited about the programs we have happening this fall, and I hope to see you there!

Lisa Nolting

Registered Dietitian

[email protected]

Links:

My blog

Peer Wellness Education

Culinary Boot Camp Registration

The Body Project