Dean of Graduate College, Associate Provost positions filled

Christopher Gannon

Bill Graves was named dean of the Graduate College effective July 17, 2017.

Maggie Curry

The Division of Academic Affairs has selected Bill Graves as Iowa State’s next dean of the Graduate College, and Ann Marie VanDerZanden as associate provost for academic programs.

Both roles were previously held by Dave Holger, who retired last month after 43 years at Iowa State, according to a release.

The new appointments are effective July 17 for Graves and July 19 for VanDerZanden.

“Ann Marie and Bill have tremendous track records of success on campus, and are excellent choices to help lead our academic and graduate programs,” said Senior Vice President and Provost Jonathan Wickert in a release. “Each will each play a critical role in sustaining a high quality learning experience for every Iowa State student.”

Graves, who joined the faculty in 1992, has served as associate dean for the Graduate College since 2010. Graves is a professor of horticulture who earned bachelor’s and master’s degrees at Iowa State. He has also served as director of graduate education in the Department of Horticulture, and for interdisciplinary graduate studies.

As associate dean, Graves’s accomplishments include overseeing the college’s new Center for Communication Excellence, streamlining the program of study and committee process for students, co-developing and teaching a graduate course on research writing and creating professional development programming to help faculty be more effective major professors, according to a release.

“Graduate education has never been more relevant but faces challenges,” Graves said. “We will advocate for and promote the importance of advanced study, as well as a diverse, equitable, and inclusive academic environment in which graduate students and postdoctoral scholars will prepare for impactful careers.”

VanDerZanden, also a professor of horticulture, has served as director of the Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching (CELT) since 2012. She also served as CELT’s associate director from 2009-2012, and was co-director of Iowa State’s learning communities program, according to a release.

As CELT director, VanDerZanden expanded services and support for instructional faculty, including the creation of CELT’s Online Learning Innovation Hub, and development of inclusive classroom workshops.

“I look forward to working with colleagues across campus to build on the excellent programs and initiatives already in place, and to determine strategic priorities to enhance the quality and reach of Iowa State’s academic programs,” VanDerZanden said.