sb, vb, golf, wrestling

Trevor Holbrook

Volleyball:

Iowa State’s volleyball squad finished the 2016 season 18-11, including a win over #5 Texas. The Cyclones had a hot stretch during the end of October through the beginning of November, rattling off six straight conference wins.

Coach Christy Johnson-Lynch managed to snag the No. 17 ranked recruiting class, according to PrepVolleyball.com. The incoming class features three top-100 players: setter Piper Mauck (No. 24), middle blocker Meegan Hart (No. 86) and middle blocker Avery Rhodes (No. 91).

Iowa State graduated three seniors, but it retains valuable pieces to the team. Jess Schaben, the team leader in kills, is only a sophomore this season. Along with Schaben, Monique Harris returns. Harris led the team in assists last season.

Men’s Golf:

Andrew Tank’s team graduated three seniors, including All-American Nick Voke. The senior core helped secure a team bid in the 2016 NCAA Championship tournament. Iowa State finished tied for 18th.

The Cyclones lost a large part of the team, but they still have quality golfers. After strong freshman campaigns, Tripp Kinney and Sam Vincent are expected to be groomed into the next crop of leaders.

Women’s Golf:

Iowa State’s women’s golf team finished second in the Big 12 Tournament, the Cyclones best finish ever. Iowa State was only seven strokes behind first-place Texas.

At the NCAA Lubbock Regional, Iowa State finished 10th. Celia Barquin narrowly missed a chance at an individual berth to the NCAA Championship. The NCAA Championship picks the three best scores, but Barquin finished fourth best not among players from the six qualifying teams.

The Cyclones are in a prime position to have one of the top Big 12 teams again in 2017. Iowa State returns all five players.

Wrestling:

Iowa State wrestling had a below-average year, finishing 1-12. The lone win came against Northern Colorado. At the end of the season, Kevin Jackson stepped down as head coach. The Cyclones hired Virginia Tech coach and Humboldt, Iowa native, Kevin Dresser.

The Cyclones face multiple roster holes, after graduating 11 seniors. Iowa State rebounded with the #15 ranked recruiting class, according to intermatwrestling.com. Iowa State brought in four recruits: Marcus Coleman, Austin Gomez, Ryan Leisure, and Mac Southard. Gomez has shown promise already, coming up one point shy of qualifying for the Junior World Team.

With a new coach and a couple new faces, Iowa State wrestling looks to make some noise after a rough 2016.

Softball:

Jamie Trachsel’s Iowa State team finished 23-35 in her first season as head coach. The Cyclones secured the highest finish in the Big 12 Tournament, finishing fifth. Sami Williams and Kelsey McFarland were named to the NFCA Midwest Region First Team.

Taylor Nearad, Andrea Gonzalez, Julie Lewis, and Bryn Hanrahan all committed to the Iowa State program in the offseason. Nearad is a two-time Schutt Sports/NFCA National Junior College National Player of the Year.

The Cyclones graduated four seniors, but Iowa State was utilized it’s young talent a lot in 2016. Sophomore pitcher Emma Hylen pitched the most innings this season, while freshman Sami Williams was the Cyclones top hitter.