Iowa State says goodbye to class of 2017

Iowa State graduates celebrate as they move their tassel from the right side of their cap to the left. The tradition of turning tassels is said to represent moving from candidate to graduate.

Maggie Curry

Family and friends filled the south half of Jack Trice, running down to the field barrier to find and photograph their graduate. They had time; this was during the impressive twenty minute procession of the 4322 members of the class of 2017 who would cross the stage for their bachelor’s degrees.

Video of the graduates already in their seats showed phones pressed to ears as they attempted to call and locate their representatives in the audience or friends on the field. They stood on chairs, raised their programs and flapped their arms. This wasn’t just about the graduates’ hard work, after all, but the help, support and encouragement they had along the way (and sometimes about being on the big screen above each endzone).

Dennis Muilenburg, Iowa State alum and honorary doctorate of science recipient, spoke on his time at Iowa State and the chance he took on an internship with Boeing during his commencement address. The internship was a tough decision for Muilenburg because it would take him far away from his family farm, but led to his career at The Boeing Company, where he is now president, chief executive officer and chairman of the board.

“This is my wish for you: to dream big, take risks, learn, grow – do it again and again,” Muilenburg said. “Along the way find the people in your life who invest in you so that you can invest in others. And always, always be true to your values.”

The president of the alumni association, Jeffrey Johnson, shared the four reasons he was proud of the class of 2017, including the fact they were the most diverse class in Iowa State history and kept the CyHawk trophy at Iowa State for three years.

The senior class president also spoke at the ceremony.

“Congrats to all the grads. We did it. We graduated. Today, we all define success the same,” said Janelle Gibney, president of the senior class council. “How will you define success tomorrow? … Define your success and go confidently in the direction of your dreams.” 

Students stood to be recognized either for their work in the honors program, graduating with distinction or military participation.

Student Marshalls from six of the colleges were presented at the undergraduate ceremony:

Rachel Pick, College of Engineering

Raeann Hanlon, College of Human Sciences

Samuel Schulte, College of LIberal Arts and Sciences

Lauren Dunteman, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences

Olivia Reicks, College of Business

Carly Ludwig, College of Design

We spoke to a few seniors about their Iowa State experience.

“[I’m] thankful for ISU’s opportunities inside and outside the classroom, including Study Abroad on two continents.” – Parker Neid, supply chain management

“My brother went here, my sister went here, so I already knew the campus really well. I’ll remember the sleepless nights, the hard work I put into it, but definitely also good friends.” -Kristopher Burney,  computer engineering

“I’m going to miss everyone I met. Jason Weigand was my (freshman) adviser, and I saw him today and he gave me a hug. I was like ‘I haven’t seen you in three years!'” – Alissa Mathisen, public relations

“Experiencing Iowa, it was all brand new. One thing I’ll miss the most – and not miss – is staying up late with people and studying.” – Julio Calinas, computer engineering

“I loved performing Mojos in the M-shop every-other Wednesday. I also ate far too much Panda Express in the past four years.” – Adam Kroksh, performing arts