Federal lawsuit claims University of Iowa mishandled 2015 sexual assault report

ISD

ISD

Alex Connor

A former University of Iowa law student filed a complaint against the university, the Iowa Board of Regents and state of Iowa Thursday after alleging the university mishandled and failed to respond properly after he reported his sexual assault to several university officials – which inevitably led to his removal from classes at Iowa.

Matthew Bailey, 29, said he was sexually assaulted by a fellow male University of Iowa student in February 2015 and reported the assault first to family and friends, along with a therapist. 

Bailey, according to the complaint filed in the U.S. Court’s southern district of Iowa, then reported the assault to the university on April 13, 2015, through the university ombudsperson after his perpetrator and the perpetrator’s friend began harassing him. On April 14, 2015, Bailey reported the sexual assault to the university Title IX office and coordinator.

From there, the suit alleges that the university “failed to and did not investigate the reported sexual assaults, even though the University of Iowa admits its knowledge of the reported sexual assault beginning on April 13 and April 14, 2015. 

In both instances, Bailey said he relayed the perpetrator’s name and phone number to the university.

Jeneane Beck, a University of Iowa spokeswoman told The Gazette Monday that the “university denies violating his rights under Title IX and ‘will vigorously defend this case.'”

Beck also said that the university did “provide Matthew Bailey with support and accommodations after he reported in April of 2015 that he had been assaulted, but Matthew Bailey refused to identify the other person.” She said it was not until January 2017 did he identify the alleged perpetrator “at which point the university promptly investigated his claims.”

Bailey attended the University of Iowa as an undergraduate from 2010 through 2014.

He said he was suspended from classes, banned from campus and threatened with arrest for trespass if he sought treatment from the university’s hospital and clinics in November 2016 after a meeting with the University of Iowa’s College of Law’s dean Gail Agrawal “in an attempt to facilitate a transfer to be a visiting student at another College of Law.”

During the meeting, in which Bailey said was a “last ditch effort” to report to the university, he raised his voice out of frustration and for using the b-word toward Agrawal – in which the university said violated its sexual misconduct code. 

According to the complaint, Bailey reported his assault to not only Agrawal and the ombudsperson Cynthia Joyce but also the College of Law’s Dean of Students Carin Crain, the Title IX compliance coordinator Sara Feldmann, the U of I staff psychologist Dr. Audrey Bahrick, the U of I College of Law’s career services director Elizabeth Price and Jane Caton and Eli Hutchinson of U of I’s threat assessment team.

The suit accuses the university of violating Title IX, including failing to investigate reports of sexual assault and “creating a hostile environment.”

Bailey has also filed a lawsuit against the man he said assaulted him, who entered a counterclaim denying the allegations accusing Bailey of libel and slander.