Throwback Thursday: Sloss House

Sloss House, pictured in 1944. Students can be seen in period clothing standing around the building.

Archive photo courtesy of Special Collections and University Archives / Iowa State University Library

Ian Steenhoek

Sloss House

Built in 1883, with an addition in 1903, the Sloss House has not changed a lot in the past hundred years. Sidewalks have been paved, a sign added and decorations are hung in the window.

The original tenant was Charles E. Bessey, who lived there for two years. It was next occupied in 1925 by Thomas Sloss, who was the superintendent of buildings. Throughout his tenure, he renovated the house, extending the porch, adding a garage, study, bath and sunroom. Thomas Sloss was the father of Margaret Sloss, who was the first female to graduate with a doctorate of veterinary medicine in 1938. 

Margaret Sloss was born in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, in 1901. She served many roles on campus, including technician in veterinary pathology, associate professor, professor and professor emeritus. She also authored multiple publications on topics such as women in veterinary medicine, a biography over Charles Stange, and she even wrote (and later revised) a textbook called Veterinary Clinical Parasitology. She was awarded numerous awards for her work not only on campus but also for women as a whole.

Margaret died in 1979 and is buried in the Iowa State Cemetery.

Today, the Sloss House is home to the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center. “The Margaret Sloss Women’s Center at Iowa State University is committed to the development of a campus community that promotes gender equity and social justice. Through a feminist lens, the center advocates for individuals and groups; provides support, referrals, community and programming; and maintains a safe space.”

The Margaret Sloss Women’s Center hosts programs and events for all genders, including the Vagina Monologues, International National Women’s Day and the Womyn of Colour Retreat.

For suggestions for further publications of Throwback Thursday, email [email protected].