Everything you need to know about transferring credits

Talon Delaney

Transferring credits may not seem like an exciting use of time, but it’s extremely important for your academic career, and here’s why.

ISU will put your academic career on hold if any transcripts from high school or alternate institutions are not accounted for. This is called an admissions hold; it bars students from registering for classes, and it can be a nuisance if not properly dealt with.

Admission holds exist for the sake of academic honesty. Transcripts are basically academic records, and you are held accountable for your course work when you are a student. Credit transfers can help you graduate as planned, or point out certain academic deficiencies.

Even if you think a credit transfer might hold back your scholastic career, you must follow through with it. Nothing on your transcripts can hurt you more than presenting no transcripts at all.

So how do you transfer all your credits?

If you are a new or incoming student, start by contacting the ISU Office of Admissions. They are located on Union Drive on the second floor of the Enrollment Services Center.

You can mail your high school transcripts or deliver them in person at 2433 Union Drive. Make sure to address your letters to the Office of Admissions at room 100 of the Enrollment Services Center.

If you took a course through another institution since enrolling at ISU, you need to submit an official transcript to the Office of Admissions. Transcripts can be requested online, via mail or fax or picked up in person. Expect to pay a fee when doing this.

Domestic transcripts typically arrive within two weeks, while international transcripts can take twice as long.

Keep in mind all colleges and universities have their own policies regarding credit transfers. The variety of courses offered is mirrored by the variety of possible policies students may encounter.

Generally, if you pass a college-level course at one post-secondary institution, credit for that course can be granted at another post-secondary institution. However, exceptions may persist. Students should contact their academic advisers if they have any concerns.

Want to see if your credits transferred successfully? Log in to AccessPlus, click the “student” tab, select “admissions” on the left side of the screen, and then proceed to “transfer credit evaluation.”

If you’re experiencing an admissions hold, don’t panic and don’t stress. Try to deal with it in a timely fashion, and contact your academic adviser or the Office of Admissions if you’re unsure of what moves to make.