Editorial: Smile and be happy

Meredith Kestel/Iowa State Daily

Three students with wide smiles pose during an ice breaker game at bid day Aug. 21.

Here we are — back to school. Although today can be sad, because it means that the break is over and now you have to go back to classes, you do have plenty of reasons to be happy on this day. So smile, because it is International Day of Happiness.

The day is a good time for us to think of the term “happiness,” which we hear on a daily basis. It is defined as a mental state of well-being achieved by pleasant emotions. People have been, for centuries, debating the idea of reaching the state of happiness. Perhaps an easy way to sum up many arguments is by saying that happiness comes from the inside. It results from personal, internal satisfaction and appreciation.

Although people may differ in their way of defining or approaching happiness, they agree that it is a goal. That’s the reason that led the United Nations to issue a resolution in 2011 stating that happiness is a fundamental human goal, and to declare a day of happiness.

This is the fifth time the world is celebrating the International Day of Happiness. The international day was first decreed in 2012 and first celebrated on March 20, 2013. Perhaps many have never heard of it before because it is relatively new, compared to other international days. The aim of declaring March 20 as a day of happiness was to “remind us all that the world is a better place when we connect with and care about the people around us” according to Dr. Mark Williamson.

So again, you have plenty of reasons to be happy, and you have plenty of chances to make others happy too. One thing that we all agree on, to some extent, is that the people around campus and Ames in general are friendly. A smile or greeting may make someone’s day. So let your smile shine today while walking around our beautiful campus. It is a beautiful day, and you have no reason not to be happy. Do not be upset or sad because the break is over; now you get to see your friends again. Think of all the blessings you have — it is a shame not to appreciate them. So smile. The world deserves to see your beautiful smile for at least today.

As Williamson said, we can make our world better by connecting with others and showing them that we do care about them. We can make our campus better by listening to our fellow members of the Iowa State community. We can make our campus better by caring about others who need us and need our support. So help make our world better by making someone happy today.

And while reading today’s editorial, smile and be happy, it is the International Day of Happiness.