Spring into the warm weather with fun outdoor activities

Students enjoying their hammocks with each other on Central Campus.

Ian Steenhoek

With winter ending and warmer weather just around the corner, many students are finding themselves wanting to venture outside.

“What is there to do?” They may ask.

Check out this list of the top 10 things to do on campus in nice weather.

1. Hammocking

Hammocking has always been a fun and leisurely activity, but its popularity has exploded in recent years. Taking a walk around campus, it is almost impossible to not find any hammockers out. Hammocks can run anywhere between $20 to $100 or more. Many hammockers agree that it is better to buy a cheaper hammock and more expensive straps, as the straps are crucial to keeping the hammock in the air. 

2. Slacklining

Slacklining is another activity that has exploded in popularity recently. Slacklining involves anchoring a webbed material between two points and adjusting the tension. The user then walks across the line, similar to tightrope walking. As the skill increases, many will lower the tension to achieve a bouncer line. This is beneficial for doing aerobatic tricks. Slacklines can run anywhere between $20-$100, depending on length and quality.

3. Frisbee

Frisbee is a tried and true activity that can be done anywhere, whether it’s in a park, on the beach or on campus. Frisbees work on two principles: shape and spin. The airfoil shape generates lift, similar to how a plane’s wings do, by creating a higher air pressure underneath and a lower pressure above. The spin of the frisbee provides stability, which keeps the disc from wobbling and falling out of the sky. Frisbees can vary greatly in price depending on shape, brand, size and weight.

4. Toss a ball around

Toss a baseball. Toss a football. This is another activity that has stood the test of time, from camping trips to awkward family gatherings.

5. Kick a ball 

This is a similar concept but generally involves a soccer ball.

6. Fly a drone

This is another new-age activity for those with a little more money to spend. Drones are remote-controlled devices, generally quadcopters, that are capable of several things. While lower-end models may only be able to fly, other models are capable of recording video and even aerobatic flips. Just be sure to comply with FAA regulations. Lower-end models can cost less than $100, while higher-end models can cost between $350 and $1000+. The price depends on factors such as size, battery life, range and video/trick capabilities.

7. Play with puppies

Puppies are likely to brighten the day of almost every person they come into contact with. Why not have a doggy date?

8. Study or do homework

Campus is beautiful, so why not enjoy the scenery? Lay a blanket out and bring some snacks, or just lie right on the grass. It’s difficult to go wrong.

9.Take some photos

Someone has to take the candid photos of campus. You can be the one to take those.

10. Get some coffee and relax

There is an expansive outdoor seating area outside of the Hub. Grab some Caribou and visit with friends.

Feeling inspired? Go out and enjoy the weather.