Provost Wickert talks plans in response to state budget cuts

Provost Jonathan Wickert speaks to the members gathered at the P&S meeting on Sep. 1.

Danielle Gehr

After Gov. Terry Branstad announced budget cuts to Iowa universities, Provost Jonathan Wickert announced Iowa State’s plans to reduce the impact on students.

Wickert spoke at the Professional and Scientific Council meeting Thursday at the Memorial Union. Wickert said out of the $8 million in state budget cuts, President Steven Leath will take half of the cuts from his office.

“It is extremely unfortunate […] at a time when we’re doing everything right here and doing exactly what our elected official want,” Wickert said. “We’re doing exactly what the people of Iowa want. We would like to see the elected officials invest in success.”

The provost office will see a 2.25 percent reduction from its budget. Reductions of 0.73 percent will be taken from the different colleges. 

Academic affairs will have a reduction of $3.3 million.

The university will save money in other ways. It will stop participation in some of the national organizations that it has taken part in in the past. 

Some positions will remain unfilled to save six months worth of salary and bonuses that would otherwise have to be paid. Maintenance projects will be delayed to save money as well. 

The current amount of budget cuts improved from the $10 million cuts that were initially stated. 

Wickert gave some perspective, saying worse cuts were seen in 2007 and 2008. He also said he believes the university is in much better shape. 

“The university’s in a much stronger place […] tuition rate is much stronger,” Wickert said. “Private fundraising is outstanding.” 

Wickert said next year’s budget is a “known unknown.” He knows there will be some kind of change, whether it’s a slight tuition increase or more cuts, but they are still unaware of what that change will be. 

Wickert also discussed the immigration ban, saying new information is coming in on an hourly basis. 

The immigration ban affects 115 students and four faculty members. If they leave the country, there is no guarantee they will be let back in. 

One visiting researcher who was set to begin work at Iowa State this week was from one of the seven banned countries and was unable to come to the United States and passed up the position.

“We have students from over 100 countries that come to our university,” Wickert said. “[It’s] something we’re really proud of.”

He expressed concern that this will cause international student enrollment to go down. After 9/11, it took about a decade for the university to build international student enrollment back up, Wickert said. 

One member of the Professional and Scientific Council expressed the need to reach out to all international students, not just those from the countries directly affected. 

P&S Council President Clayton Johnson brought up Iowa State University’s Principles of Community, which includes respect, richness of diversity and freedom from discrimination.

He believes that during this time, it is important to be conscious of being inclusive and sensitive to the needs of those affected by this immigration act.

Toward the end of the meeting, members of the P&S Council discussed reverting some of their funds in order to help with these budget cuts. From their $15,000 budget, they discussed giving 0.73 percent. 

Though the motion was denied by a majority of the members, Johnson said he would add this to the agenda, adding that this discussion will be continued in the future.

The Iowa State Daily staff incorrectly stated the areas of the university which will be affected by budget cuts. The error has been corrected. We apologize for any misrepresentation.