Meet Erin McDonald, Trend magazine’s design director

Courtesy of Erin McDonald

McDonald posing with a Trend t-shirt.

Reagan Clay

Trend magazine directors are expected to stay on top of due dates, be excellent leaders of their committee and collaborate as a team.

Erin McDonald, sophomore in graphic design, does just that.

This is McDonald’s second semester with Trend but first semester as a director. She decided to take over the design director position after the co-directors stepped down. McDonald was then mentored by other directors.

“I first heard about Trend at ClubFest,” McDonald said. “I loved the vibe of the magazine and thought it sounded super interesting to join.”

Design directors design the layouts of the magazines and the division pages. They collaborate with other directors to come up with the theme of the magazine and design of the cover. Design directors also are in charge of any advertising.

McDonald was handpicked to fulfill the design director position.

“Erin showed a lot of promise in her designs, especially with her being early in her graphic design education,” said Jessica Johnson, senior in graphic design and former design co-director of Trend.

“For such a young age, she is mature,” said Destinie Phomsouvanh, junior in apparel, merchandising and design and co-editor-in-chief of Trend magazine. “She is always on top of her game, takes feedback very well and is creative. She already has strong leadership skills, and I know she is going to go far.”

McDonald’s goal this semester is to make the magazine edgier.

“We are changing how much content we have by using [fewer] articles and more fashion spreads,” McDonald said. “We have more freedom to experiment with more space.”

This new freedom affects her as the design director and gives her more room to work.

“Trend creates an open environment,” McDonald said. “Everyone is open to other ideas, and you never feel put down for suggesting one idea.”

Working as a Trend director is a time commitment because the directors oversee a lot of committee members. They also have to make sure they follow due dates.

Trend has created many opportunities for students to practice their skills past the classroom.

McDonald plans to use the skills she has learned through Trend after graduating college. She wants to start at a design firm because they get “a mixture of it all,” including making visuals to communicate and relay information.

“Trend has helped me work collaboratively and work on deadline,” McDonald said. “It gives me more real-life situations and is extending my design work outside of class.”

Catch up on the Trend model-casting process