Pete Englin assumes new role in student affairs

Pete Englin assumed a new role in student affairs on Jan. 30, 2017.

Emily Hammer

Since late January, Department of Residence director Pete Englin has been working as assistant vice president for student affairs, on top of his current responsibilities.

Englin reports to senior vice president for student affairs Martino Harmon in his new position. Besides managing the residence department, he also executes leadership in ISU Dining. Mohamed Ali, director of ISU Dining, will continue to be in charge of this department.

Englin hopes that being in this position and working closer with Ali will strengthen the partnership between the department of residence and ISU dining, allowing the two to better service Iowa State students.

Harmon believes that Englin has the ability to do this.

“What I’m really excited about and looking for from Pete is to be able to provide some oversight over both areas,” Harmon said. “…I really need Pete to bring these units together more cohesively with some oversight from an executive level.”

As assistant vice president for student affairs, Englin will work with other divisions to enhance capital planning and space management for student affairs.

He will also represent Harmon on several committees and planning groups related to capital projects and space, one of Harmon’s top priorities.

“…what Pete will be doing is really bringing people together to talk about short term, long term needs and who do we plan for those appropriately and how do we make sure that we’re proposing those to the university in a way that will allow us to move forward,” Harmon said.

Englin has worked as director of the residence department since 2005 and oversees university-owned traditional residence halls, suites and apartments.