ISU student to show at Omaha Fashion Week

Mader’s collection for the Omaha Fashion Week was inspired from her study abroad trip to Africa.

Reagan Clay

For Sarah Mader, there was no other option but to be a fashion designer.

Mader, senior in apparel, merchandising and design, is showcasing her collection at the Omaha Fashion Week. Seventeen total designers, three of whom are affiliated with Iowa State, make up this year’s Omaha Fashion Week.

“I was always really creative and could draw people in great detail when I was younger,” Mader said. “I was 9 years old when I figured out that I can make a job making clothes and drawing for people. Since then, I haven’t looked back.” 

Eulanda Sanders, professor of apparel, events and hospitality management, said the Omaha Fashion Week gives students an invaluable opportunity to participate in a professional industry fashion event.

“The experience to showcase their design lines provides exposure of their work and building industry connection,” Sanders said. “It also demonstrates our Iowa State students’ readiness to contribute and compete professionally in the fashion industry.”

The Omaha Fashion Week is the fifth largest fashion event in the nation. 

“Omaha Fashion Week is a glamorous red carpet event for a good cause,” said Buf Reynolds, director of talent and community outreach at Omaha Fashion Week. “We nurture the youngest of fashion designers by providing mentoring, education opportunities and a professional platform to showcase their work.”

Mader applied online for the fashion week in September. The organizer asked Mader to send more photos of her work, so she sent her website. Soon after, she was accepted for an interview, where she got the chance to discuss what she had to offer and how it will make their show the best.

“At first, the judges were really quiet, but when I finished, they perked up and gave me some pretty positive feedback,” Mader said. “They really liked my branding and construction, which is one of the things Iowa State is known for in the design program.”

Mader used the judges’ feedback as inspiration to finish her collection.

“I wanted to continue to impress them and didn’t want to let them down,” Mader said.

About a week after the interview, Mader received an email that said she was selected to be in the event.

Mader’s collection is a luxury resort for spring look. The inspiration came during her study abroad trips to Spain and Morocco.

“I am very decisive when it comes to something that I want,” Mader said. “When I was in Africa, I knew that was what I was going to design my collection around.”

Mader used materials such as digital printing and laser cutting to complete her collection, which features colorful, light, airy and feminine pieces. 

Mader was tight on time while making her collection, which included digital printing, waiting for fabric to be made and making each detail of the pieces.

“I am very much a quality over quantity type of person,” Mader said. “I will stay up all night to make sure something is perfect, so I had a lot of long nights.”

Getting into the Omaha Fashion Week was a notable accomplishment for Mader, but she also met her fashion designer idol, Rachel Zoe.

“I wanted her to sign my sketchbook, and she started flipping through the pages and gushing over my sketches,” Mader said. “The fact that she loves what I had designed, especially since it was designed after her, made me feel great.”

Mader’s work ethic and focus have inspired some of her classmates and professors.

“Her balance of precision, creativity, dedication and passion can be clearly seen throughout every phase of her designs,” Kara Sander, senior in apparel, merchandising and design, said. “As one of Sarah’s classmates, I can honestly say she is the most driven and focused individual in the program.”

Mader will spend her week at the Omaha Fashion Week, but her collection will be showcased Friday. 

“Each of her samples are effortlessly finished to a ‘T,’ which enables her to problem solve and overcome any sewing hurdles she may encounter when finishing her final sample,” Christina Denekas, lecturer in apparel, merchandising and design, said. “Sarah has always operated under this professional and polished attitude while maintaining a pleasant disposition, which inspires others to up their creative design skills.”