Throwback Thursday: Campanile in the winter

Ian Steenhoek

Campanile in Winter

Pictured in 1952 and again in February 2017, this is another view of one of the most iconic landmarks on campus. In both the archive and current photos, there is a thick blanket of snow covering the area. Both were taken from the stairs of Curtiss Hall.

The Campanile was finished in 1898 and is a memorial to Margaret Stanton. The gift was from her husband Edgar W. Stanton in honor of her passing.

Edgar W. Stanton was born in 1850, and was part of the first graduating class at the Iowa Agricultural College in 1872. According to the Special Archives, Stanton filled many positions in his 50 year residency on campus. These include student, Chair of Economics Department, Professor and Head of Math Department, Secretary of the Board of Trustees, Vice-President, Dean of Junior College and even served as President four times.

Margaret Macdonald Stanton was Edgar’s first wife. She was Iowa State’s first Dean of Women. She was affiliated with Iowa State for over 25 years. She died July 25, 1895. Edgar later remarried to Julia Wentch. After his passing in 1922, her and their children requested that 26 more bells be added to the Campanile.

Today, the Campanile stands 110 feet tall with over 50,000 bricks and 50 bells. These bells ring every 15 minutes and there are daily concerts every day classes are in session starting at 11:40 a.m. Requests are taken Fridays. This bell instrument is called the carillon and is played by music professor Dr. Tin-Shi Tam. Students can even take lessons and learn to play the carillon. 

The tradition known is campaniling is very popular. It is when two lovers kiss under the tower at the stroke of midnight and is said that one isn’t a true “Iowa Stater” until they campanile.

Read more about the Campanile here.