Editorial: Show solidarity in ISU immigration marches

Hannah Olson / Iowa State Daily

A protester holds a sign that reads, “Not my president, unfit to lead,” during the Women’s March in Des Moines on Saturday. Thousands circled the Iowa State Capitol to raise awareness for women’s issues.

The executive order to ban the citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the United States had triggered outrage and anger all around the world. Just a few hours after signing the order, hundreds gathered in airports to protest the ban, and many attorneys started confuting its legal basis. The continuous protests gave the attorneys a push forward and warmed the hearts of those directly impacted by the ban.

Here on campus, 115 students come from the seven countries targeted by the executive order. Three people associated with Iowa State were outside of the United States at the time of the ban. One of them is an Iranian scholar who has since canceled his plans to visit the university. Many of the 115 students were worried about their families who were unable to join them here due to the ban.

Last week, a group of Iowa State students, along with others, came together to organize a solidarity event to stand with those who were directly impacted by the ban. The event was given the name “Hoodies and Hijabs,” and it was scheduled for Feb. 2. But the organizers postponed it to Thursday to attract a larger number of attendees. 

The organizers said the plan is to meet in front of the northern side of the Memorial Union. The crowd plans to march to Curtis Hall, and then to the Agora, in front of Parks Library. At noon, the Hoodies and Hijab March is supposed to join the national rally “Academics United.” This rally was organized by some clubs on campus, and it will take place on about 50 campuses around the country at the same time.

The Hoodies and Hijabs March is meant to protest racism, xenophobia and Islamophobia. The latter event, Academics United, is more focused on the the immigration ban and the experiences of those who have been directly impacted by it.

The organizers also drafted a letter to the administration of Iowa State University demanding the school take proactive steps in order to help the impacted students. They have asked Iowa State community members to read the letter and endorse it by signing.  

For a community like ours, showing care and solidarity is meaningful and crucial. It is not always about one’s politics or one’s political beliefs or affiliation. For someone who is affected by such a ban, just being supported helps them get through the stress and the hardship of the moment.