Iowa State releases update on 3 students, scholars affected by travel ban

The Campanile held a concert today around noon on Central campus. An assortment of songs were played.

Alex Connor

A postdoctoral researcher in the College of Engineering has successfully returned to Ames after a travel delay due to President’s Trump immigration ban, Iowa State released Tuesday.

As of Monday, there were three students and scholars immediately impacted by the immigration executive order signed Friday, which suspends immigration from seven predominately Muslim countries. 

The countries currently affected by the executive order include: Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. 

The two other individuals impacted by the travel ban include an admitted but not-yet-registered Iowa State student, a release stated, who had been turned away at an airport in Stockholm on Saturday. The other individual is a visiting scholar.

As of Tuesday morning, the admitted student was again unable to board a flight from a different international airport. The student is currently in contact with the International Students and Scholars Office and is consulting with immigration attorneys, the news release said.

The last Iowa State-affiliated person who is a visiting scholar, will no longer be making attempts to travel to the university. Before the ban, he had planned to be on campus by Feb. 1.

In a statement by Iowa State President Steven Leath provided Monday, Leath said that the university’s primary focus as of now is the “direct, adverse impact the order has had on three persons connected with Iowa State.”

As far as Iowa State is aware there are not any additional reports of students, faculty or staff that are affected by the ban.

Over the weekend, Deb Vance, interim director of ISSO, sent an email to all students prospectively affected by the ban saying, “You are a valued and important member of the Iowa State community and we want to make sure that you get the support you need at this challenging time.”

She encouraged students to stay in the United States. 

On top of the ISSO, who has been working activley with concerned students, Vice President for Student Affairs Marino Harmon said in a release that the university “will do all it can to help them navigate the uncertainty.

Student Affairs is mobilized to help – through counseling, student assistance, student legal services,” Harmon said. “We are all here to help. We have had relationships for years with many immigration attorneys, who we’re planning to invite here in a few weeks when more developments are known.”

Roughly 200 students at all three regent universities are impacted by the ban, The Des Moines Register reported, 115 of them being from Iowa State. 100 of the Iowa State students are from Iran.