Trend Model Casting

Courtesy of Fashion Show

Model calls are popular on campus for spring publications like Trend and Sir and for the spring Fashion Show.

Reagan Clay

The first step to becoming a model for the Iowa State fashion magazine, Trend, took place Tuesday night.

Trend is a student run magazine that mainly focuses on fashion, beauty and lifestyle at the Iowa State campus. It is made up of different committees that include editorial, graphic design, fashion styling, advertising, public relations, photography and finance.

Students were welcomed to MacKay Hall for the model casting of the Spring 2017 issue. The theme of this issue is metallic movement.

Any Iowa State student is allowed to try out to be a model for Trend.

“No experience is required,” said Alisha Humiston, senior in apparel merchandise and design and editor and chief for Trend. “We just want diversity and for the models to have a good attitude throughout the shoot.”

Models come in the first night to fill out their information such as their height and hair color. They then take a series of shots including a headshot, full body shot and a serious picture.

Directors are in charge of picking the models they find best suiting for their section and contacting them for the shoot. Models come in with no idea what the directors may have in mind.

“Directors may pick a model depending on the information they had filled out. It all depends on what the directors have envisioned,” said Leah Blankespoor, senior in event management.

Blankespoor was a model in the Spring 2016 issue. This is her second time being involved with the modeling for Trend.

“If you get casted one time, you may not get it again because they are constantly changing their styles,” said Blankespoor.

There are many students who are trying out to be a model for the first time this semester.

“I am excited to try something new,” said Zakariyah Hill, sophomore in software engineering. “I love taking pictures and having my friends take pictures of me.”

The number of models needed throughout the magazine is constantly changing too. The number depends on what the director has imagined for their section.

The release party for Trend is April 27 at 7 p.m. at The Resort in Campustown.

“The launch party is really fun because that’s the first time the models get to see the pictures and the final product,” said Blankespoor. 

See more content on Trend Magazine here.