Resources for victims of sexual assault

Max Goldberg/Iowa State Daily

The Sloss House, built in 1882, currently houses the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center which “promotes equity and social change on the Iowa State University campus,” according to their website. Students can participate in the center’s “Who Needs Feminism” campaign, volunteer, or even rent out the space.

Alison Boysen and Ally Frickel

Sexual Assault Response Team (SART)

A group of trained professionals within law enforcement, health, advocacy and persecution to maintain a safe community for people and students. Based out of the ISU Police Department, SART will respond quickly and efficiently to ensure quality care to those in need.

• Room 168, Armory Building

• 515-294-3116

Student Counseling Services

Provides open hours to meet face-to-face with a professional to seek help or assistance with personal issues. The services also include therapy sessions that students can revisit if needed.

• 3rd floor, Student Services

• Open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday

• 515-294-5056

LGBT Student Services

A safe space for students to talk to resources to understand and explore sexual orientation. Resources include activities, programs, support advocates and more.

• 1064 Student Services

• 515-294-5433

Dean of Students Office

Handles all student affairs including academics and student life. Resources include staff who can refer to other resources as well as handle misconduct against university policy. Misconduct includes sexual assault/harassment, bullying, home-life issues, discrimination and personal issues.

• 1010 Student Services

• 515-294-1020

Society for the Advancement of Gender Equity (SAGE)

A feminist organization that deals with topics of gender violence issues, sexual assault and other sociocultural issues.

Margaret Sloss Women’s Center

A place for students and staff to receive resources and comfort while dealing with issues like sexual assault, harassment, gender equality and more.

• 205 Sloss House

• 515-294-4154

ISU and Ames police departments 

Police forces with training in victim/witness services, criminal investigations, personal threat assistance and more to help victims.

• ISU Police Department: 515-294-4428

• Armory Building Room 55

• Ames Police Department: 515-239-5133

• 515 Clark Avenue

ISU website resources (sexualmisconduct.dso.iastate.edu)

A list of other confidants people can seek all around Ames, not only places on campus. Those featured include private and confidential resources, in addition to campus confidential and other resources like police departments and attorneys’ offices located close to campus.

Assault Care Center Extending Shelter and Support (ACCESS)

ACCESS is an organization that allows victims of sexual violence to receive free and confidential support. ACCESS offers a number of services to best suit the needs and wants of a victim.

• 515-292-5378

• Available 24/7

Thielen Student Health Center

The on-campus medical clinic available to all students is a full-service medical clinic. They are staffed with physicians, advanced registered nurse practitioners and nurses and provide a full range of medical services.

• 2647 Union Drive
  • 515-294-5801

Mary Greeley Medical Center

The Mary Greeley Medical Center is the Ames hospital and has an emergency room. They should be contacted and sought out with all medical emergencies or when Thielen Student Health Center is closed.

• 515-239-2011
  • Available 24/7