Agriculture students study abroad in Spain

Megan Striegel

To begin class, Thomas Loynachan, professor of agronomy, tells the class to count off, much like you would hear on a middle school field trip to a museum.

The students count off. Keep in mind, just a few weeks ago they were in Spain counting off at every stop.

The class did a short study abroad trip to Spain during Spring Break. Although it lasted only 10 days, the professors agree the students got a lot out of it.

“In five to 10 years, if you asked them what the highlight of their undergraduate experience was, most would mention this experience,” Loynachan said.

The trip to Spain is available through an economics class, Agron/Econ 496, which attracts students in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. Most students are agriculture business majors, with the rest being related majors with an interest in economics. The trip itself is referred to as The Agriculture Production, Business and Trade in Spain.

The trip to Spain first started in 1987, and the three current professors have gone on the trip for the last three years, with the trip rotating to Argentina and Australia in other years. 

Students are required to pick an industry, do a pre-trip presentation based on the American version of the industry and a post-trip presentation based on what they saw in Spain. On top of this, they write a 25-page paper about what they learned.

The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences requires an international perspectives class before graduation. 

Ebby Luvaga, senior lecturer in economics, described why students need that perspective.

“Agriculture is a global economy; the 9 billon will not just live in the United States. We need to understand and know where they are from.”

Cameron Jodlowski, junior in agricultural and life sciences education, said traveling abroad gave her amazing opportunities.

“Studying abroad allows you to not only go out of your comfort zone while learning about the culture of a new country, but it challenges you to learn new things about yourself,” Jodlowski said.

This trip is the first time that many of the students have left the country. The professors understand this and incorporate things like going through customs and other important knowledge about traveling abroad in the class before they leave. 

The professors buy the plane tickets in November and then accept students. Students must first apply before being accepted into the class. Forty students applied, but the class only took 25 students, varying from freshmen to super seniors.

Macy Marek, freshman in agricultural business, had her first international experience through the trip.

“Everything was a bit of a new experience to me,” Marek said. “It was amazing to explore another country’s culture and learn about their agricultural practices compared to ours in the U.S. We stayed busy with tours and talking to industry professionals.”