Students shape fashion magazine tradition at Iowa State

Christine Hopkins

While the Iowa State Fashion Show is the annual showcase of apparel, merchandising and design students’ work, the fashion scene at Iowa State is hardly limited to its talented designers.

Iowa State is also home to three fashion magazines — Trend, Revival and Sir — where students of any major can learn about fashion writing and photography and see their own work published twice yearly. The publications also recruit models for each issue, and students don’t need any modeling experience to be considered. 

Here is what you can expect to find in each fashion magazine at Iowa State:

Trend

The award-winning Trend Magazine is managed by the apparel, events and hospitality management department but is open to any student who wants to join. It released its inaugural issue in spring 2006 and is the longest-running fashion magazine on campus.

Trend’s most recent issue, its 20th, included the story “Twenty Issues Later: Congratulations Trend.” The piece details Trend’s journey from its conception to receiving its status as an official student organization to how it plans to take advantage of its ever-growing staff.

Issues also include a wide range of articles about beauty, fashion, lifestyle and trends for men and women. Additionally, the “Alumni Spotlight” section features two ISU graduates who have gone on to succeed in their dream jobs.

Revival 

Revival was formed in spring 2011 and not only focuses on fashion but also on art, culture and entertainment found within the ISU and Ames communities.

Founders Kyle Keigan and Ann Prowell told the Iowa State Daily in 2011 that other student publications didn’t seem to cover those topics, and as a result, they felt they needed to step in and start their own magazine.

In addition to its signature “image-dominant” style, Revival also features stories about Ames-area bands, in-depth profiles of ISU students’ unique experiences and local events.

Revival’s spring 2016 issue, titled “Psychedelic,” marks the magazine’s 10th publication.

Sir

Iowa State’s men’s interest and lifestyle magazine made its way to the ISU community in spring 2012. Each issue concentrates on aspects of lifestyle, fashion, food and drink, culture and sports — “anything and everything a guy might find interesting,” Sir’s page on the Greenlee School website states.

Stories have included “The Full Monte,” a profile of ISU basketball player Monté Morris; “If Don Draper Went to Iowa State,” a Q&A with the “Mad Men” character complete with drink recipes; and “VEISHA Riots: Behind the Lens,” an account of the 2014 riots that led to the cancellation of the event.

“You don’t have to like chopping wood or eating steaks,” the inaugural issue’s editor-in-chief John Lonsdale wrote of the magazine’s target audience. “You just have to be confident and want to have a good time with us.”

All three publications released their spring 2016 issues in mid-April and they can be found at the magazine racks around campus.