Construction update on Science Row

Photo: Kendra Plathe/Iowa State Daily

Osborn Drive will be closed for construction during the week of June 11 to 17.

Mollie Shultz

The ongoing construction that will occur on campus this summer may cause problems for commuters, but Iowa State is working to solve any problems that may pop up. 

A variety of construction projects are beginning on Iowa State’s campus, including road closures, which is a concern for some. The construction includes a stretch along science row on Osborn Drive.

A portion of Osborn Drive will be closed for approximately three weeks during the summer, barring no setbacks. People driving through campus at that time may have difficulty getting where they want to go.

The reason for the closure is in direct relation to the Bessey construction project that started this spring.

Dave Miller, associate vice president for Facilities Planning and Management, said the Bessey project requires electrical work across the street near Kildee to connect Bessey to electrical power. This will result in the closing of that small portion on Osborn Drive.

In addition to electrical work, one of the water mains on that stretch of road needs to be extended. The construction workers have limited their work to just one side of the road this spring, which is why the sidewalk has been closed. The road will close once the majority of students depart for the summer. During this time, CyRide will be rerouted to Stange Road.

The sidewalks near Kildee will also be closed so they can be widened to allow for more space for students. 

Facilities Planning and Management has been working with the residents in the buildings surrounding the Bessey area to ensure they are fully informed about the work that will be taking place. 

“We invited over all of the people surrounding Bessey that are in the neighborhood and we had meetings,” Miller said. “We have sat down and tried to outreach to make sure as many people are aware as possible.”.

Miller understands that construction and road closures cause difficulties, especially the first few days. He believes the project is not significant enough to cause major difficulties because of the lack of people on campus.

Emma Niedermayer, graduate student in animal science who will work on campus during the summer, said she does not think the construction will profoundly affect her commute.

“As long as the whole sidewalk isn’t closed, because I have a parking spot kind of close to the bus barn, so I walk here,” Niedermayer said. “It doesn’t really affect me too much.”

Jody Gatewood, an assistant state nutrition program specialist for Human Sciences Extention and Outreach, agreed with Niedermayer.

Gatewood said that as long as she can cross the road at some point, without having to go too far out of her way, it will not profoundly impact her.

“If I just have to walk a little bit up the road and cross, it will not heavily impact me,” Gatewood said.