New Student Government members sworn in

Max Goldberg/Iowa State Daily

Cole Staudt, student government president for the 2016-2017 school year, is sworn in during an inauguration ceremony April 11 in the Campanile Room. 

Zach Clemens

The end of the academic year rings in the inauguration of freshly elected senators and the start of a new legislative session for Student Government.

The night started with comments from the outgoing Student Government president and vice president. Dan Breitbarth and Megan Sweere passed along some advice for the new members.

Follow through with the campaign promises that got them elected, Breitbarth said. Staying engaged with the student population was another piece of advice from the outgoing president.

“Always remain a team,” Sweere said.

She said to remember that each senator is on the same side and they need to work together. She also said the most important thing is to have fun and do not forget they are college students.

“Strap in, we’re going for a ride,” said new Student Government President Cole Staudt after being sworn in.

He said one of his goals for next year is to change the perception that Student Government is not just a funding source. He wants to create a comfortable and welcoming environment for all students.

Staudt made his decisions on who he wants in his cabinet:

• Chief of Staff: Matthew Scott, political science
  • Finance Director: Michael Snook, computer engineering
  • Treasurer: Seth Carter, pre-business
  • Director of Student Services: David Moore III, kinesiology and health
  • Director of Academic Affairs: Catherine Leafstedt, agronomy
  • Director of Governmental Affairs: Benjamin Dirks, agricultural business
  • Senior Director of Communications: Anais Romero-Rios, political science
  • Director of Diversity and Inclusion: Benjamin Faiz, biology
  • Director of Student Health: Zackary Reece, political science
  • Director of New Student Outreach: Jaleel Chandler, political science and French
  • Director of Sustainability: Kathryn Holmes, environmental science
  • Directors of ISU Ambassadors: Montana Crow, Public Relations, and Isaiah Baker, political science and English
  • Ex-Offcio Ames City Council Liaison: Sam Schulte, biochemistry
  • Director of College Relations: Ivy Hogg, business economics
  • Director of Graduate Relations: Mengyu “Allen” Wang, aerospace engineering
  • Director of Student Research: Blake Singbush, psychology and criminal justice
  • Graphic Designer: Caitlin Deaver, journalism and mass communication
  • Director of Information Technology: Scott Fisk, management information systems

The Senate must approve all positions during its first session meeting Wednesday night.