Why students joined Greek life

Olivia Kudla

Iowa State has a rather large Greek community, with more than 50 sororities and fraternities. The greek community as a whole focuses on four key values which are scholarship, leadership, philanthropy and service, and friendship. The greek system offers Iowa State students countless opportunities to stand out and meet a lot of people. 

Whether you are considering going Greek or are already in a fraternity or sorority, here is why some students joined the Greek community at Iowa State: 

“Well, the reason I joined a fraternity is because it’s 50 guys that I can count on! Just like at home, I have my family to hold me accountable and push me toward my goals. The guys in my fraternity know me better than anyone else at college and are there to help me become a better person. Also, it’s a group of guys that can help me figure out what’s best for me; they are always honest, even if it isn’t what I want to hear. Along with if I want to go shoot hoops or throw the football around, there is always 10 guys that I can do that with. It’s just a group of guys that are extremely easy to talk to”

-Daniel Streitz, Delta Chi

“I joined a sorority due to the philanthropic involvement, to not only help me become more involved with the community, create lasting friendships, get to know more people, and get to know what life at Iowa State can be like through making a difference in the lives of people around us with my sisters by my side.”

-Izzy Favela, Alpha Gamma Delta

“I joined a fraternity not only due to the life long friends I knew I’d make, but also to get involved with the community right away. Along with the possible networking opportunities that would come with it, especially with alumni.”

-Bobby Petersohn, Sigma Pi

“I wanted the campus to feel smaller and have a support system away from home. Also a lot of my family members went Greek, so I wanted to give it a try myself. The main reason I joined was — I thought it would be a great way to meet people!”

-Carley Lynch, Pi Beta Phi

“[I went Greek] to become more involved and have the opportunity to have leadership roles.”

-Jordan Viers, Phi Kappa Theta

“I wanted to join because I wanted to make a big school smaller. I wanted to be able to connect with women who had the same values as me, and I wanted to meet people from all over and learn new things!”

-Gracie Snow, Alpha Phi