Meet the judges of The Fashion Show

Clockwise from top left, Ardith Singh, Greg Rosborough, Jackie Hasek and Lorynn Divita make up the judging panel for the 2016 Fashion Show.

Camila Cervantes

Iowa State hosts The Fashion Show every year to present the work of apparel design students. Judging day is the most anticipated because the judges select what will be shown on the big day. This year’s judges were:

• Lorynn Divita: fashion forecasting professor at Baylor University
  • Jackie Hasek: buyer at Steve Madden, Ltd.
  • Ardith Singh: head designer of Lou & Grey
  • Greg Rosborough: design director at Abasi Rosborough

While preparing for judging day, the judges looked at accessories, portfolios, illustrations and more. As each judge specializes in different areas, they all agreed on being a cohesive team.

“There are some clear winners and talented people, and I can see that,” Rosborough said. “We saw that even in the beginning. Jackie was talking about buying tips, others were talking about important details, and so I think we definitely see it from different angles to find a good balance for the winners.”

“[When judging], creativity and originality is very important,” Singh said. “All of us are looking for someone who understands the importance of being conceptual and knowing how to thread that concept all the way through in the designs. And then also how you present them.”

Divita said attention to detail is also important because it can separate a top-place person with someone who doesn’t make the cut.

Students from all majors can submit designs to be judged, but Singh said apparel, merchandising and design students probably have more experience and more attention to detail from what they learn in their courses. 

“You never know, sometimes those outsiders bring in something that is totally different but could be interesting.” Rosborough said. 

Divita said the benefits of having an education in apparel, merchandising and design is that students learn the basics early on instead of having to just trial, which he believes is great but doesn’t think there is a substitute for a great education. 

The judges also provided various advice for students who are graduating and have to experience the real world of fashion.

“I think that when you get your education at a place like Iowa State you have so many advantages because your education is automatically very well-rounded versus someone who has very specialized education,” Hasek said. “However, it can be a disadvantage when you move to New York. There are many people that are amazing that went to Parsons and FIT, so that just means that you have to be that much better, that much more hustler, that much more of I’ll do anything. Think outside of Iowa, think outside of the Midwest [and] understand what is going on outside.

“If you are in New York, you have to take any tasks no matter how big or how small. You are going to have to do some little tasks to get your foot in the door. And don’t worry about how much money you are going to be making right off the [bat] because you just have to have the work experience and that will pay off eventually.”

Divita encourages students to also be open to menswear.

“I have many alumni saying there [are] no jobs when there [are], but it is not what they specifically want,” Divita said. “And we have found that there are some great opportunities like plus-size, which is expanding and incorporating trends. The more open you are to different segments of the industry, the better shot you will get to have a career there.”

Rosborough added that students cannot be afraid of taking risks.  

“Do a great job, and the three biggest things that I did when I was looking for a job  communicate well, work really hard and be positive,” he said. “And if you do those, people are going to want to work with you and you obviously have to be talented, and you can do well.”

Iowa State had an impact on two of the judges who studied apparel merchandising and apparel buying.

“I have never heard of any of my co-workers who went to school for fashion merchandising, so having retail math helped me being in front of a lot of people,” Hasek said. “Knowing how to do the work by hand and a calculator, and nobody knows how to do things like that anymore because everybody plugs it into a computer.”

The Fashion Show will begin at 7 p.m. Saturday at Stephens Auditorium. Tickets are available for purchase at the ticket box office.