Alternative Spring Break plans

Megan Dale

Not all college students have the budget to jet off on a Spring Break trip. This, though disappointing, doesn’t mean your Spring Break has to be any less exciting and adventurous than everyone else’s.

Local adventures are much easier to find than you might expect. No matter where home is for you, or if you’re staying in Ames, these alternative Spring Break ideas will make your week off one to remember.

1. Find a place to go hiking

Hopefully the weather will be nice enough during your Spring Break to spend some time outdoors, and what better way to enjoy nice weather than going on a hike? Even if you feel like there aren’t any good places to hike near you, search online for either a state park or protected area near you where there is nothing but wildlife and dirt trails. This will not only be good for you physically but also benefit your soul. It will also undoubtedly lead you to great places for photo-ops.

2. Visit a local museum

Be a tourist in your hometown. Although using your cognitive abilities may not have been one of your plans for Spring Break, using them as a tourist will not only be informative but also fun. If you don’t think there is anywhere near you to visit, use the Internet to do some research. I’m sure you will find at least one tourist location near you. Immerse yourself in the culture of your hometown. You might learn something that you will be able share with the next friend you bring home.

3. Visit a nearby city

Take a day trip to a city near you. A big city, such as Minneapolis, Chicago, Milwaukee or St. Louis, typically isn’t more than a couple hours out of reach. Splurge a little and take a train with friends or family members to the city and spend the day sight-seeing and shopping. Big cities provide endless opportunities for fun, so your day is bound to be busy and full of memories.

4. Explore local coffee shops and cafés

Most students have been to Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts, but how many have really explored all of the local coffee shops and cafés? I’m sure there are more than you expect, and all of them will vary in character and charm. These coffee shops and cafés are perfect places for catching up with your friends and for spending a lazy afternoon endlessly scrolling through Pinterest or Tumblr. Your explorations might lead you to a place you love so much you make plans to return during the summer.

5. Read a book, watch movies and relax

Binge on your favorite things: romance novels, action movies, unconventional reality tv and staying in bed all day. You can do all of this guilt free because you have nothing else better you should be doing. Even though this may not seem very eventful and you won’t end up with a killer tan, you will at least be able to remember this Spring Break as the one when you finally caught up on all the sleep you missed out on since the beginning of the semester. 

Spring Break at home doesn’t have to be lame or boring. You can make it fun by exploring what is around you and living every moment to its fullest. Don’t take these days of rest and relaxation for granted. The tough end to the semester is on its way.