Draft of strategic plan released, open forums set

ISD

ISD

Alex Hanson

Iowa State has released a draft of the next university strategic plan for public review, and input on the draft is being sought online and through open forums.

A draft of the strategic plan for fiscal years 2017-2022 can be viewed here

“The new plan lays out the framework for the university for the next six years,” said Steve Freeman, who is leading the Strategic Planning Steering Committee and a university professor of agricultural and biosystems engineering. “It’s an important document, and I encourage faculty, staff and students to read it and tell us what they think.”

The four-page plan isn’t intended to document everything Iowa State values or intends to accomplish over the next few years, Freeman said.

Iowa State is seeking input on the plan through two different methods:

1. Students can submit comments online through May 10 in an online comment forum here.
  2. Students can attend one of the two open forums that will take place in the Memorial Union over the next two weeks.
  • 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday, March 31, in the Gallery
  • noon to 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 5, in the Oak Room

The steering committee in charge of drafting the plan will take public input and answer questions at the forum.

After input is collected, the committee can make changes to the draft, which will then be sent to President Steven Leath in June.

Along with Leath, the plan also needs final approval from the Board of Regents, and pending approval, it will go into effect July 1 and run through June 30, 2022.