AgArts combines two passions for students

Keaton Lane

The arts and agriculture may seem like a strange combination, but a club on campus is using this unlikely duo to improve the Ames community and world.

The AgArts club was founded in 2009 by Mary Swander, distinguished professor emerita of English.

Swander had thought about how to integrate the arts and agriculture for a long time before starting the organization. After writing a verbatim play called “Farmscape” based on interviews with farmers, seed dealers and other individuals involved with agriculture, Swander decided it was the perfect time to start the club.

“You can raise issues in the arts and get a conversation going about these issues in a different way than you can if you hand someone a brochure or write an op-ed or send them a magazine. It’s more engaging,” Swander said.

The group’s goal is to use the arts as a way to start a dialogue about the world of agriculture.

“AgArts is really focused on the intersection between agriculture and the arts and how we can use dynamic forms of storytelling to open up a larger dialogue about agriculture as a whole,” said Adam Wright, graduate student in sustainable agriculture, creative writing and environment and president of AgArts.

The group meets once a month and participates in various events in the community, such as Sustainapalooza and Earth Day. It also plans two events of its own each year. The group also partners with the lectures program to bring a speaker to campus and hosts its annual Local Wonders Grant potluck.

The Local Wonders Grant is a way for the group to give funds to a project in the Ames community that is focused on the arts, agriculture or both.

Anyone can send an application for the grant, and the group then narrows down the applications to its finalists, who have five minutes to pitch their projects at the potluck. After hearing the pitches from each finalist, the group decides which project will receive the grant.

This year, the Local Wonders Grant potluck will take place a 6 p.m. April 10 at Alluvial Brewing just outside of Ames.

Although Swander is now retired and no longer affiliated with the AgArts club, she has been expanding the group nationwide and is now the executive director.

While Iowa State currently has the only AgArts group, more are being formed in New York, Missouri and Kansas.