Student reports man with gun in vehicle near campus

Alex Connor

UPDATE 2:16 p.m.: Another ISU Alert was sent out to students stating that police have searched the area and have not located the Dodge SUV or the suspect. 

After no additional reports were received, police believe that the “this afternoon’s incident appears to be isolated,” according to the alert.

Police are reminding anyone who witnesses unusual or concerning behavior to report it.

UPDATE 2:03 p.m.: A student reported seeing a man in a vehicle with a gun near campus Monday afternoon.

Jason Tuttle, investigations commander for the Ames Police Department, said that a student reported seeing a man with a visible handgun in his car.

The student, who was on a motorcycle, pulled up next to the suspect, who was driving a silver Dodge crossover at the intersection of West Street and Hyland Avenue. The individual had a chrome revolver visibly in his hand, Tuttle said.

After seeing the driver with the handgun, the student went to ISU Police and reported the incident. ISU Police then sent out an ISU Alert that stated the student “reported being threatened by a person who pointed a chrome revolver in his direction minutes ago.”

While the alert stated the student had been threatened, Tuttle said that there was no interaction between the student on the motorcycle and the suspect; authorities also “don’t believe any type of road rage” was involved.

Police are still searching for the suspect, who was described as a white male in his mid-30s with facial hair.

Tuttle said authorities still wish to speak with the individual in the vehicle, but there is no current indication that there is an imminent threat.

ISU Police and the Ames Police Department are currently searching for the suspect and are encouraging anyone with information to call the police at 911 or 515-294-4428.

Check back at iowastatedaily.com for more information as it becomes available.

ORIGINAL: Police are looking for an individual who pointed a gun at a student near campus Monday afternoon, according to an ISU Alert that was sent out campus-wide.

A student riding a motorcycle northbound near the intersection of West Street and Hyland Avenue reported being threatened by a person who pointed a chrome revolver in his direction, according to an alert by ISU Police.

The suspect was described as a white male in his mid-30s with facial hair. He was driving a silver Dodge SUV.