Editorial: Students must participate in Iowa Caucus

Photo: David Derong/Iowa State Daily

Story County Democrats register and sign name tags outside the Ames High School cafeteria on Tuesday, Jan. 3, for the Democratic Caucus.

The constant swirl of candidates’ visits to campus, nonstop TV commercials and campaign phone calls and flyers will all be quieted after Monday’s Iowa Caucus. But while the overwhelming presence of politics on our campus recently can be annoying, have we stopped to think about what it truly means for our state?

Whether students grew up in Iowa or just arrived in the state for school, it’s inevitable that they hear about Iowa’s first-in-the-nation status when it comes to caucus and primary season. However, whether that fact means anything to them is another question.

During every presidential election, candidates must fight to win Iowa’s caucus in order to win their party’s nomination. For candidates, a win in our state sets a precedent for all of the following caucuses and primaries. A loss is a litmus test for how long they can stay in the race or if their campaign strategies were successful.

In reality, Iowans are fortunate to live in state with so much power in the presidential election.

Although we must brave a flood of politics for a few months every four years, the ability to make an impact on our country should be valued — especially by the millennial generation that most of college students make up.

The millennial generation, those born between 1982-2000, is the biggest generation in U.S. history and numbers around 83 million, according to a U.S. Census Bureau report from June. With so many people in the generation, millennials have the ability to make a large impact on elections, especially in Iowa, if only they showed up to vote.

For many ISU undergrads, this may be the first time they are able to vote in a presidential election. While the process may seem intimidating, it is essential that students show up at their precinct locations Monday night to cast their vote.

Luckily, the process is made easy for everyone, especially those who have never caucused before. Caucusgoers can register to vote Monday at the precinct locations and officials will explain the caucus process before it begins.

Lastly, it’s OK for students to still be undecided on who they will support at the caucus. As long as students are informed of who the candidates are, they can listen to fellow citizens at their caucus about the candidates they choose to support and why before choosing who to support.

Put simply, Iowa citizens, especially ISU students should not have a reason not to caucus Monday night. The power students have to effect change should greatly outweigh the reasons not to caucus.

A list of precinct locations can be found on The Daily’s website. Doors at caucus locations close at 7p.m., so caucusgoers should arrive to their locations early, especially if they still have to register. If students still have to register, they must bring a piece of mail, sent by a government agency, as proof of their address and a photo ID.