Cyclone Hockey falls to the Ohio Bobcats 5-2 in the CSCHL Tournament

Junior defense Eero Helanto, freshman forward Aaron Azevedo and sophomore goalie Matt Goedeke defend the puck at the game against Central Oklahoma. Azevedo would score a power play goal in the first period.

Gina Cerrentano

The first period started quickly as Cyclone Hockey took the early lead 39 seconds into the start of the game. Forward Jake Bruhn sent the puck between the pipes off an assist by defenseman Cory Sellers.

But the Cyclones momentum was squandered soon after as Ohio went on to score three unanswered goals.

The first of three came at 8:22 by forward Matt Rudin with assists from Liam Geither and Matt Hartman. The second came from Reilly Moore with a helper from Mike Palasics at 14:22.

Quickly after Cyclones forward Eero Helanto was sent to the box for an elbowing penalty, the Bobcats scored at 14:53. Bobcats forward Michael Harris scored the power play goal late in the first, with assists from Patrick Spellacy and Joe Breslin.

4:39 into the second, the Bobcats increased their lead by another point, this one coming from Jake Faiella with an assist from Hartman.

Cyclone Hockey answered back at 10:42 of the second, with a goal from Sellers and an assist from fellow defenseman Jake Arroyo.

The rest of the second period remained scoreless and it wasn’t until 8:07 into the third that the final goal of the game was recorded.

This final tally came from the Bobcats defenseman Tyler Pecka with assists from Breslin and Harris.

The Cyclones next matchup will be on Feb. 26 at 8:30 p.m. against the Springfield Express for senior night at the Ames/ISU Ice Arena.