Sarah Palin endorses Donald Trump during Iowa State rally

Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump speaks in front of a crowd on Jan. 19 at the Hansen Agriculture Student Learning Center. Trump talked about economic and healthcare reforms. At the rally he was endorsed by former governor of Alaska, Sarah Palin.

Alex Hanson

Sarah Palin — former governor of Alaska and loved by the right-wing of the Republican Party — threw her support behind Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump on Tuesday during a campaign rally at Iowa State University.

Palin, who served as governor from 2006 until 2009, and was the GOP’s 2008 vice-presidential nominee, appeared alongside Trump on Tuesday at the Hansen Agriculture Student Learning Center on Iowa State’s campus to endorse the business mogul who has topped almost every poll since the summer.

“I am proud to endorse Donald J. Trump for president of the United States of America,” Palin said in a campaign statement released shortly before the event at Iowa State. Trump’s campaign was silent all day about the possible endorsement, but rumors swirled online.

After her endorsement earlier in the day and an announcement from Trump’s campaign, Palin kicked off her speech in Ames by congratulating those gathered at the event for supporting the presidential hopeful who has been known to stir controversy.

“You’re putting your effort and reputation on the line to make America great again,” she said.

Palin also referred to her own choice to support Trump.

“Why would I jump into a primary and chose one over friends who are running?” Palin said. “I am here because I know it is now or never. I am in it to win it.”

The former governor of Alaska touched on several issues Trump, as well as other presidential hopefuls, had addressed throughout the current campaign system. This included the country’s current national debt, stating that Trump was more qualified to handle finances due to his success in creating his own wealth.

“This self-made success of his, he doesn’t get his high from the opium of other people’s money,” she said.

A major theme in Palin’s endorsement included the military’s interests, a topic she has always heavily campaigned on during her political career. Palin bashed President Obama as an inefficient commander in chief.

“Are you ready for a commander in chief who will let our warriors do their job and kick ISIS’s ass?” Palin said, to the loudest cheers of the night.

Palin also said Trump has torn “the veil off of the establishment of how the system works,” and claimed other Republicans have attacked Trump and his supporters.

“Some people are whispering they’re willing to throw in for Hillary in order to keep the establishment,” she said.

Palin said she believed Trump would “throw out the race-baiting argument” and instead talk about unifying issues like the Second Amendment and the right to life.

Trump’s speech was not angled toward students, despite the large population of ISU students present at the event. His speech focused on issues he usually talks about, particularly the national debt, the economy, veterans, foreign policy and trade.

The Republican presidential hopeful remembered his announcement for his intention in June to run for president.

“It all started June 16 when we came down that escalator and said, ‘Let’s go. Let’s make America great again,’” he said.

If elected, Trump said Iowa and New Hampshire will not lose its first-in-the-nation status for the presidential election.

“If I win, they’re not touching Iowa,” he said. “This is an amazing tradition. They’re not touching New Hampshire.”

Some have said Iowa specifically does not deserve its position as the first voting state because it is not diverse enough.

There were also protesters who had entered the Hansen Agriculture Center and began chanting “A vote for Trump is a vote for hate!” early in Trump’s speech. Several other attendees of the event began chanting “Trump!” and “U.S.A.” in an attempt to drown out opposition.

U.S. Secret Service and Trump campaign officials escorted the group of protesters out. Later in the event, a person in the back shouted, “You guys are a joke!” while Palin was speaking. He was also quickly escorted out.

The protesters were escorted from the venue, with Trump telling a shouting woman to “be quiet while they escort you out.”

While feelings were mixed during the event with protesters, several students in attendance said they were at least willing to give Trump a chance at their support.

Aaron Still, sophomore in mechanical engineering, said he is undecided at this point, but wanted to see Trump and listen to what he had to say.

“He says what he thinks,” Still said. “And he stays away from [politically correct] stuff.”

Still said he is not planning to caucus since he is registered to vote in his home state of Wisconsin, although Iowa law does allow college students to re-register in the state.

He also said he had mixed thoughts on the Palin endorsement, saying he thinks it will probably hurt fellow Republican Ted Cruz and help Trump, and he thought Palin brought a lot of “energy” to the crowd.

Palin endorsed Cruz during his 2012 Senate campaign, and Cruz has noted that without Palin’s endorsement, he may not have been elected to Washington.

Grant Beeler, senior in animal science, said he has caucused before and plans to again this cycle. While he would consider Trump, he also said he likes Cruz and Rand Paul.

“It was a great surprise to see Palin after her endorsement this morning,” Beeler said. He said he thinks the endorsement will help Trump, but Palin only carries the support of a specific crowd that may already like Trump.

Cole Krynicki, junior in marketing, said he “absolutely” likes Trump, but he may not caucus because he is not registered to vote.

He said that both Trump and Palin had lots of great things to say, and he likes how Trump takes on political correctness.

Cody Walker, senior in kinesiology and health, said he also likes Trump, especially as a veteran. Walker pointed to Trump’s positions on veterans care and foreign policy as a reason to support him.

Walker is planning to caucus for the first time this year, and he thinks the endorsement from Palin “hit hard” and fired up the crowd.

Trump also shook hands and signed autographs for everyone along the rope line at the end of the event.

Also at the event, Aissa Wayne, daughter of John Wayne, spoke highly of Trump, saying the United States needs a “strong leader” like John Wayne who would tell it like it is.

State Sen. Brad Zaun, R-Urbandale, also said he is ready to have Trump elected and commented how refreshing it would be to have someone who is not part of the establishment as president.