Bryanna Fernstrom joins Gophers just two days after leaving Iowa State

Bryanna Fernstrom, sophomore center, takes the basketball from an opponent of Southern University on Dec. 6 at Hilton Coliseum.

Luke Manderfeld

It has been just two days since former ISU forward Bryanna Fernstrom had requested her release from Iowa State, but she has already found a new place to play. 

Fernstrom and the Minnesota Gophers announced that she will be joining the Gopher women’s basketball program Wednesday. She will be eligible to play in Spring 2017, per mid-year transfer rules. 

“When I decided to transfer from my previous school, I knew Minnesota would be the first and best choice for me,” Fernstrom said in a statement. “Once I got there I met the coaching staff and toured the campus and facilities, I knew it was exactly where I belonged. I felt very at home at the University of Minnesota and was welcomed with open arms by both staff and players.

“I’m very excited to be back home playing in front of the people that have helped and supported me for so many years.” 

It was just Monday that ISU coach Bill Fennelly announced Fernstrom requested to leave Iowa State. It took him by surprise but he quickly said he has shifted his focus on the players “who want to be here.” 

“[I was] definitely surprised,” Fennelly said Monday. “Second semester starts today and we have about eight weeks left in the season. It’s a surprise, but there’s a lot of things that young people do today that don’t surprise me anymore.”

Fernstrom averaged 10.5 points per game this season for Iowa State, playing in all 15 games and starting in 12. She also ranked fourth in the Big 12 in blocks per game, swatting 2.27 per contest. 

Fernstrom’s hometown, Center City, Minn., is about 41 miles away from the University of Minnesota. She was nominated as a McDonald All-American and Minnesota’s Miss Basketball in her senior basketball season for Chisago Lakes High School. 

Fernstrom will also join her high school AAU teammate, Carlie Wagner, who is in her second season as a Gopher. 

Minnesota head coach Marlene Stollings said Fernstrom had an ability to “make and immediate impact on our program.”

“Bryanna is an exceptional addition to our Gopher program,” Stolling said in a statement. “She brings in-depth experience from playing in the Big 12, starting the majority of her young career. She is a very talented defender with the ability to block and alter shots, and she has shown the ability to score with her touch on the offensive end.

“We are ecstatic to bring another Minnesotan home to play in front of the best fans in the country.”