Nolan and Schaben earn Big 12 season honors

Emily Blobaum/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State senior libero Caitlin Nolan celebrates a point during the game against Texas on Saturday night. The No. 14 Cyclones would go on to lose to the rank three Longhorns 0-3. 

Kevin Horner

Two Cyclones — one a rookie, one a veteran — earned honors in the Big 12 postseason awards.

Senior Caitlin Nolan notched her second-straight Big 12 Libero of the Year award, winning the award unanimously. Joining her in the pool of the elite Big 12 players of 2015 was freshman Jess Schaben, who was named the unanimous Big 12 Freshman of the Year. 

Nolan’s award marked the eighth-straight season that an ISU libero has received the honor, all under ISU volleyball coach Christy Johnson-Lynch’s “Libero U.” Schaben’s became the second Cyclone in ISU history to earn Freshman of the Year after her teammate, senior Mackenzie Bigbee, won the award in 2012.

Joining Nolan, who also earned a spot on the All-Big 12 First Team, are sophomore Alexis Conaway and redshirt junior Morgan Kuhrt — filling in three of 14 spots on the First Team. Schaben also qualified for the All-Big 12 Second Team as well as the All-Big 12 Freshman Team.