Popular study abroad opportunities

Olivia Kudla

Here at Iowa State there are many opportunities for students to explore not only themselves, but the rest of the world. A great way to expand your knowledge is to study abroad where you could  immerse yourself into a whole new culture. Many different types of programs are offered, some being as long as a full academic year. Gaining the experience and leadership skills would put you ahead of the other job candidates after you complete your degree and enter the professional world. Primarily all of the application deadlines are on March 15, 2016.

If you are interested in studying abroad a good resource is the Study Abroad Center’s website, studyabroad.iastate.edu, or visit the center in the Memorial Union. 

Here are a few popular programs:

1) A semester in Newcastle, Australia: A full-time student typically would take three courses. The campus’ student population is a little smaller than Iowa State’s at around 25,000. For an undergrad student that is in state the total cost would be $17,182.70 and for an out of state undergrad it would be $21,160.

2) A semester in San Jose, Costa Rica: Several electives are taught in Spanish, but there are also English taught electives. It is necessary for the student to enroll in four courses. The Spanish classes are four weeks long. Language level is determined by a placement exam. The total cost for both in and out of state undergrad’s is $13,875. 

3) A semester in Ireland: The University College Cork is a quaint school with 13,000 students. It is said to have a great social atmosphere, the city of Cork has plenty to offer such as: a marina, malls, historic castles and more. Four to five classes is the standard for students. For in state and out of state students it would cost $21,960.

4) A semester in Italy: Unlike the other programs, Lorenzo de Medici has centers in Florence, Rome, Tuscania, and Venice. They offer a three-cities program, where the student would spend a month in Tuscania, Rome and Venice. There are plenty of arts and humanities and social science courses given. A full-time 12-15 credits is what students are to be enrolled in. The cost is a total of $20,590.