Council votes to ban e-cigs from campus

Audra Kincart/Iowa State Daily

Clayton Johnson, president elect and design administration, just started this week as an engineer advisor. 

Audra Kincart

The Professional and Scientific Council decided to back a proposal that electronic cigarettes be included in the smoke-free policy on Iowa State’s campus effective Jan. 1, 2016.

The Professional and Scientific Council hosted a meeting from 2:10 to 3:40 p.m. Thursday in the Gallery Room of the Memorial Union.

Several policies were discussed in the unfinished business portion of the meeting, including the addition of electronic cigarettes, to the smoke-free campus policy.

“Just a health issue, I think it sends a positive thing for the entire campus community,” said Diane Rupp, associate registrar for the university. “This is an opportunity where it’s free of smoking.”

The motion stated, “It is moved that the Professional and Scientific Council endorses the proposed policy for January 2016 implementation.”

Jason McLatchie, member of the council, was one of two members who attended the meeting to vote against the motion.

“I did because I was representing my constituents,” McLatchie said. “I asked for feedback, and I received one comment, and their comment was they did not want that.”

The motion was approved 36-2.

Another policy discussed during unfinished business included the addition of drones to the Facilities and Grounds Use Policy.

“I think as a research institution they need to have that standpoint of the university needs to know when a drone is flying over campus,” Rupp said. “I was torn from the standpoint I don’t want people to think they couldn’t just get it approved.”

The motion stated, “Whereas this draft is revising the existing policy to include the use of drones. It is moved that the Professional and Scientific Council endorses the proposed policy.

The motion was approved 37-1.

Both motions will take effect January 2016.