Time line of events since September open forum

The Great Hall is packed with students, staff, professors and the Ames community on Sept. 30 because of the Iowa State Open Forum. The forum was based off of the Cy-Hawk protest on Sept. 12 and other events that have happened in the first month of school. 

Isd Staff

Students who gathered in Beardshear Hall Monday afternoon to state their support for the students of color at the University of Missouri used the opportunity to restate demands of the university to address racism on campus. 

A Sept. 30 open forum held in the Great Hall was called after a Trump student protester’s poster was ripped at the CyHawk tailgate earlier that month. The forum kickstarted student demands of the university. 

The following is the list of events and steps taken after the protest provided to the Daily by University Relations. 

“In the time since the Sept. 30 forum, senior administration and President Steven Leath have taken a number of steps to begin to address diversity issues. This is in addition to further steps and action items that will begin with the Dec. 1 arrival of the new vice president for diversity and inclusion. This position was created after seeking feedback from campus stakeholders in the diversity audit.

1. Immediately following the “Discussion on Racism, Diversity and Inclusion,” President Leath charged senior staff with compiling recommendations from the university community.
  2. Oct. 6 — Latinos United for Change provided a list of needs and recommended solutions to improve the campus environment, particularly for Latinos and Latinas. 
  3. Oct. 15 — Reginald Stewart was introduced as the new vice president for diversity and inclusion.
  4. Oct. 22— the Strategic Plan Steering Committee was announced.
  5. Oct. 22-30 — The Strategic Plan Steering Committee established six subcommittees, including one specifically focused on building initiatives into the strategic plan to ensure a welcoming, safe and inclusive campus environment.
  6. Oct. 30-Nov. 11 — The subcommittee structures were established, nominations were evaluated and invitations were extended for membership.
  7. Nov. 5 — President Leath charged chief of staff and student affairs leadership to closely evaluate the recommendations received by Latinos United for Change.
  8. Nov. 11 — The senior vice president for student affairs and the dean of students met with Latinos United for Change and Student Government.
  9. Nov. 12 — The subcommittees were named, and public forums were scheduled for Nov. 18 and Dec. 1.
  10. Nov. 18 — The senior vice president for student affairs and the dean of students will meet again with Latinos United for Change and Student Government.”